All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Help me understand something. I thought similarly aggressive wrasses that were far apart on the chart (e.g. different complexes), were compatible, as long as they weren't in the most aggressive categories. Is this correct? I recently acquired a small rubeus and a pretty large ryukyuensis based on my understanding of the chart. Luckily, they get along fine in the QT.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me understand something. I thought similarly aggressive wrasses that were far apart on the chart (e.g. different complexes), were compatible, as long as they weren't in the most aggressive categories. Is this correct? I recently acquired a small rubeus and a pretty large ryukyuensis based on my understanding of the chart. Luckily, they get along fine in the QT.
You're understanding is correct.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. :)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved

Ok Hunter I'm pretty confident on the first two, but unsure about my third.

I have ordered a C. aurantidorsalis. It will be first. Want to add a C. exquisitus second.

Don't see a problem there. Want to finish with a C. Scottorum which is where I might have a problem, but planned on adding him last.

Other tank-mates to note of similar size and shape are a pair of Pseudanthias squamipinnis (lyretail anthias) and a pair of Picasso clowns who are peaceful as long as nobody comes around their nem. Usually only takes 1 warning.

EDIT: I could be talked into a H. melanurus instead of the Scotts as the exquisitus is my favorite of all so would prefer to go the safer route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see a problem there.
Nope.
Want to finish with a C. Scottorum which is where I might have a problem, but planned on adding him last.
Bad idea. lol Pick a different species; something not in a red box if you go with another Cirrhilabrus. :p

Just about any other reef safe wrasse would be fine (melanurus included, provided you're okay with the risks Halichoeres pose to motile inverts).

Here's the other thing about scottorum too - they don't keep those saturated colors. About 3 months into captivity, and they fade out to a pretty muted state.

Last edited:

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.

Bad idea. lol Pick a different species; something not in a red box if you go with another Cirrhilabrus. :p

Just about any other reef safe wrasse would be fine (melanurus included, provided you're okay with the risks Halichoeres pose to motile inverts).

Here's the other thing about scottorum too - they don't keep those saturated colors. About 3 months into captivity, and they fade out to a pretty muted state.

Thanks for the reply Hunter. Like I said the Exquisite is the one I really covet so giving up the Scotts isn't even a second thought. I'm very aware of the threat so inverts the Melanarus could be, but since I'm bare bottom and more importantly have a gyre, most all of mine are larger, ornamental style, and if he gets one, well, such is life.

Either way thank you for your time!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hunter (@evolved ), quick question. I added a Labroides dimidiatus and apparently my C aurantidorsalis things he is trying to pick on him and has gone into hiding. Is this common behavior?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hunter (@evolved ), quick question. I added a Labroides dimidiatus and apparently my C aurantidorsalis things he is trying to pick on him and has gone into hiding. Is this common behavior?
Any chance your Labroides dimidiatus is actually Aspidontus taeniatus?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance your Labroides dimidiatus is actually Aspidontus taeniatus?

That was a good thought Hunter, but unfortunately (or fortunately in my case) I can confirm the listed ID from LA as L dimidiatus based on the location of the mouth.

Observation of this fish would also point me towards the correct identification as when it does "pick" at other fish, it is not fin nipping or leaving any bite marks or anything of the sort. It loves my foxface the most and frequents his head and mouth area as well as the sides of his body.

Unless there is a distinguishing characteristic I'm not thinking of, I don't see any signs of "picking" and instead see signs of "cleaning" that the fish is known for.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L dimidiatus based on the location of the mouth.
Alright, so that's a good start. :)
see signs of "cleaning" that the fish is known for.
In this case then, this is the "over cleaning" situation, where the cleaner pesters another fish to the point of stressing them. This is why I only like to see cleaners added to large (>300g systems) with numerous "big" fish in it. There's less chance of unfortunate things happening (like this) in those situations.

It may get better in time, but I wouldn't count on it I'm afraid.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say my cleaner doesn't seem to selectively target or over pick on any fish more then the other with the exception of the foxface, who doesn't mind. He's setup shop in the left corner of my tank and just gets whoever comes through. All other fish were a little preturbed at first, but seem to have adjusted, the aura is the only one who took this cleaning as a "threat" and seems to now want to stay hidden. Was curious if this was a common thing with wrasses specifically or may just be an individual fish issue.

So far my cleaner is open to LRS feedings so I know he's a least eating and has also eaten some NLS pellets.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aura is the only one who took this cleaning as a "threat" and seems to now want to stay hidden. Was curious if this was a common thing with wrasses specifically or may just be an individual fish issue.
The species itself is pretty passive; it will stress easier than many other species of the genus.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The species itself is pretty passive; it will stress easier than many other species of the genus.

This makes sense and seems to be consistent with what I have seen out of him as he has been very shy since adding him. Thanks for your help as always.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a male Melanurus and a male Solorensis go together ok? And how aggressive are they towards non-Wrasse species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back