All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added to DT at the same time? Yes but again an acclimation box would be handy to see if there is any aggression from the existing wrasse.

Should be fine in 20L just watch ammonia levels with ammonia badge.
Cool I gotta try this. Maybe a dumb question, but I've never used an acclimation box before. Can all 3 fit in the box at the same time? Do I keep 1 in the box for a day, then bring another up from QT and add to box? I've only added groups together simultaneously directly to DT

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the box is box enough I guess it could be done. But I would add one at a time or you could do the McCoskers and the Coris together and the Exquisite by itself.

For the sake of not shocking your bioload in your DT, I would go slow with adding the three instead of all at once.

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 34G tank and would like to add a wrasse for the purpose of helping with pests.

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma and 1 blackline fang blenny.

From what I can see, the Pseudocheilinus genus is the best for it. Sounds like the six line, although the best for pest control, might not be the best tank mate for my livestock right now.

I was considering the pink streaked wrasse however they are hard to come by. How are they in terms of flatworms and bristleworms?

On the other hand, I am also considering the secretive wrasse / scarlet pin striped wrasse / Pseudocheilinus evanidus. They seem to be more docile as compared to the sixline. I know they can be aggressive with other wrasses but how about the current fish I have?

Thanks!

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
My tank is 130gal, currently I have
C lubbocky (2)
H leucoxanthus
H melanorus
C exquisitus
C solon
Dragonet mandarín
Randall goby
Firefish

I have the opportunity to add a female leopard (meleneagris) and a brown powder tang next week.

Do you see any issues with those adittions?

Thanks
Julio

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved I'm planning a new tank, and looking at either adding a wrasse or two/three, are fairy and flashers compatible in the same tank, as well as canary, I'm looking at the more peaceful ones, as well as their coloring love. Thank you for the great article

Edit: looking at a 70 gallon display roughly for my upgrade tank

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
My tank is 130gal, currently I have
C lubbocky (2)
H leucoxanthus
H melanorus
C exquisitus
C solon
Dragonet mandarín
Randall goby
Firefish

I have the opportunity to add a female leopard (meleneagris) and a brown powder tang next week.

Do you see any issues with those adittions?

Thanks
Julio

Shouldn't be any compatibility issues but with two Halichoeres and a leopard in the same tank there may not be enough pods in the tank to support the mandarin.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved I'm planning a new tank, and looking at either adding a wrasse or two/three, are fairy and flashers compatible in the same tank, as well as canary, I'm looking at the more peaceful ones, as well as their coloring love. Thank you for the great article

Edit: looking at a 70 gallon display roughly for my upgrade tank

Not @evolved but fairy and flasher wrasses are fine together. If by canary wrasse you mean H. chrysus they are one of the most laid back and easy going of the Halichoeres genus IME. Mine have never bothered any other fish or inverts.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyhog
Thank you, I'm planning a tank upgrade and going up in gallons for a tank and trying to figure out a stocking list

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not @evolved but fairy and flasher wrasses are fine together. If by canary wrasse you mean H. chrysus they are one of the most laid back and easy going of the Halichoeres genus IME. Mine have never bothered any other fish or inverts.

Curious how old is your H. Chrysus wrasse, has he fully transitioned and has the orange/green stripes on his face? My fully transitioned male, will chase just about every wrasse and now over the past couple weeks thinks he has the right to attack my female psychedelic mandarin. Clearly I have the one that has a mean streak, or a stick up his butt and just doesn't like anyone.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was almost 6" and had vivid orange and green stripes on his face when I rehomed him when I moved. All fish are individuals but I would say yours is the exception. Hopefully @evolved will be able to say more.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my h. chrysus is a puppy dog, although it hasn't transitioned to male yet. but i've had it for about a year and i've never seen it be the aggressor with anything in my tank, inverts included

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black leopard and a moyers leopard in my 90 gal. Over time the moyers has gotten more dark in coloration and looks kind of dull. Sort of like he’s trying to mimic the black leopard. The black leopard I think is a female and the Moyers is a Supermale big 6 incher. Any tips to get my Moyer’s coloration back to its beautiful vibrancy like when I got him? I feed pe mysis, pe calanus, hakari mysis several times a day.

jake_francis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 34G tank and would like to add a wrasse for the purpose of helping with pests.

From what I can see, the Pseudocheilinus genus is the best for it. Sounds like the six line, although the best for pest control, might not be the best tank mate for my livestock right now.

I was considering the pink streaked wrasse however they are hard to come by. How are they in terms of flatworms and bristleworms?

On the other hand, I am also considering the secretive wrasse / scarlet pin striped wrasse / Pseudocheilinus evanidus. They seem to be more docile as compared to the sixline. I know they can be aggressive with other wrasses but how about the current fish I have?

Thanks!
A melanarus wrasse will be a go

Thanks!
my melanarus and yellow coris did a great job clearing my tank.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Do you think is feasable to mix faery, flasher and leopard wrasses with a tamarin Wrasse?

Regard
Julio

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
Do you think is feasable to mix faery, flasher and leopard wrasses with a tamarin Wrasse?

Regard
Julio
Depends on the specific Cirrhilabrus (fairy) and the order in which you introduce any of them into your DT. But generally yes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 3 years of unsuccessful attempts to capture my six-line, he finally passed on. This has opened the door for me to pursue other wrasses. Using Evolved's chart I have come up with a stocking plan but I want to make sure that it has a good chance of working.

C. Jordani (Flame)
C. Isosceles (Pintail) or C. Lunatus
C. Beauperri (Beau's)
C. Aurantidorsalis (Orangeback)
P. Mccoskeri (McCosker's flasher)

If this list is ok, do I need to add them all at once? Should I add the Orangeback last since he may be the most aggressive? Can I just add them as they become available?

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the specific Cirrhilabrus (fairy) and the order in which you introduce any of them into your DT. But generally yes.
I have
C Lubbocky
C exquisitus
C solon
H leucoxanthus
H melanorus
Yellowfin flasher
Leopard

Which tamarin would you suggest?

Thanks
Julio

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After almost 3 years of unsuccessful attempts to capture my six-line, he finally passed on. This has opened the door for me to pursue other wrasses. Using Evolved's chart I have come up with a stocking plan but I want to make sure that it has a good chance of working.

C. Jordani (Flame)
C. Beauperri (Beau's)

If this list is ok, do I need to add them all at once? Should I add the Orangeback last since he may be the most aggressive? Can I just add them as they become available?
Hey sorry to here about the 6 line.

The list I s good and I am sure others will chime in. I would add in this order if u can but a lot depends on availability. I have not seen a Beau's in a awhile. Also Try to get them on the smaller side or even females if u can.

C. Jordani (Flame)
C. Beauperri (Beau's)

I also think the Beau's and Orangeback could be flipped if u want. Acclimation box with intro of each one as well. Good luck

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have
C Lubbocky
C exquisitus
C solon
H leucoxanthus
H melanorus
Yellowfin flasher
Leopard

Which tamarin would you suggest?

Thanks
Julio
Julio - I don’t know your level of experience but all tamarins can be quite difficult at the outset. Do you QT? The hardest part is trying to get them eating food other than live.

Jcarvallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julio - I don’t know your level of experience but all tamarins can be quite difficult at the outset. Do you QT? The hardest part is trying to get them eating food other than live.
Hi,
Thank you for answering.
I consider myself a a little over mid level aquarist.
I started back in 2013 and Im currently in my third tank (app 130 gal).
Although I preffer to have fishes that are not demanding, I succesfully maintain a copperband butterflyfish in my tank rigth now, feeding it with small clams and masstick.
Regarding tamarins I have not even seeing one in my lífe. Thats why Im asking so many questions.

Regarding the QT. Im not doing it, but my LFS is forced to do a 2 week QT by law (I'm in Chile) before selling the fishes.

The thing is that my LFS has been kind enougth to accept specific order from me, so the tamarin inmediately appeared as a posibilty to expand the type of wrasses that I have.

If the tamarin is so difficult maybe I should look for another type of Wrasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back