Not open for further replies.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse mix should be fine.
I don't see any glaring issues for the broader list, but it does stretch a bit outside my wheelhouse. :)
What do you mean by that? :)

also is there a particular order I should add them?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that some days my wrasse are voracious LRS reef frenzy feeders and other days not as much. I'm wondering if they're mostly full from eating pods or things like that. Does anybody supplement their tank with pods or phyto or have recommendations for product in that regard?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that some days my wrasse are voracious LRS reef frenzy feeders and other days not as much.
That's a bit unusual.
Does anybody supplement their tank with pods or phyto or have recommendations for product in that regard?
I never have, in 10+ years of keeping mostly wrasses. At least, not for the fish - corals sometimes, but never for the fish.

jo2mat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Would it be safe to add a Leopard wrasse meleagris into my tank. My tank is a RSR350 with the following fishes - Gem tang, Borbonius, cleaner blue wrasse, Flame wrasse, Pin Tail, and a Rhomboid. Thanks!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Would it be safe to add a Leopard wrasse meleagris into my tank. My tank is a RSR350 with the following fishes - Gem tang, Borbonius, cleaner blue wrasse, Flame wrasse, Pin Tail, and a Rhomboid. Thanks!
From a compatibility stand point, yes; but the tank is getting a little small for some of those inhabitants.

jo2mat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolve Thanks. Upgrading to a bigger tank 120gal hopefully by next year.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey wrassers. I've got a yellow and green 'coris' wrasse in a 105 gallon tank with a few tangs (Kole and Yellow) and 2 indifferent clowns. The tank has been set up for about 8 months. Wrasses have been in for about 2 months.

I'm looking to add a Melanurus and Pintail Fairy wrasse to the system (and eventually a royal gramma, goby and pistol, blenny, firefish, and fireshrimp).

Am I overshooting things with the 4 wrasses? If I go methodically and add the new wrasses with acclimation boxes, do you think this will pan out ok? Many thanks.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a yellow and green 'coris' wrasse in a 105 gallon tank with a few tangs (Kole and Yellow) and 2 indifferent clowns. The tank has been set up for about 8 months. Wrasses have been in for about 2 months.
H. chloropterus will certainly be an issue - it is just a matter of time before the aggression comes with maturity.
I'm looking to add a Melanurus and Pintail Fairy wrasse to the system (and eventually a royal gramma, goby and pistol, blenny, firefish, and fireshrimp).

Am I overshooting things with the 4 wrasses? If I go methodically and add the new wrasses with acclimation boxes, do you think this will pan out ok? Many thanks.
It'll be okay with the absence of chloropterus.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at putting a few wrasses in my 45g system. Do you think a carpenter’s fairy wrasse and yellow coris will get along together? Any other suggestions/ safe substitutes? I really like the carpenter’s.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at putting a few wrasses in my 45g system. Do you think a carpenter’s fairy [flasher] wrasse and yellow coris will get along together? Any other suggestions/ safe substitutes? I really like the carpenter’s.
I do not recommend Paracheilinus (flashers) for tanks less than 3 feet in length.
The dimensions are also rather tight for Halichoeres, I'm afraid.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the two I mentioned be fine if they were a smaller fish? The ones my lfs usually has are pretty small (under 2-1/2”).
Small fish now still become bigger fish later. Best to plan for the long term.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved Dang - did not expect that after reading the "peaceful" description on Liveaquaria and that H. chloropterus will "do well with other peaceful wrasses." I may have misinterpreted.

Yellow wrasse, melanurus, and pintail... a reasonable combo? The latter two will be added to the DT after a 6-8 week quarantine. I may give the green wrasse to my friend who has a ginormous tank (the green wrasse would be upgrading).

Thank you

H. chloropterus will certainly be an issue - it is just a matter of time before the aggression comes with maturity.

It'll be okay with the absence of chloropterus.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved Dang - did not expect that after reading the "peaceful" description on Liveaquaria and that H. chloropterus will "do well with other peaceful wrasses." I may have misinterpreted.

Yellow wrasse, melanurus, and pintail... a reasonable combo? The latter two will be added to the DT after a 6-8 week quarantine. I may give the green wrasse to my friend who has a ginormous tank (the green wrasse would be upgrading).

Thank you

LA is usually pretty good with their descriptions/evaluations but if that's what they said...they are wrong on this one. IMO that's a species only appropriate for a large aggressive tank, and I wouldn't then because they are really ugly as mature adults. :p (and I said that with a long U)

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA is usually pretty good with their descriptions/evaluations but if that's what they said...they are wrong on this one. IMO that's a species only appropriate for a large aggressive tank, and I wouldn't then because they are really ugly as mature adults. :p (and I said that with a long U)
Haha, point noted. I should have done more research on H. chloropterus. I need to start a LFS so I can mention these things to customers...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, point noted. I should have done more research on H. chloropterus. I need to start a LFS so I can mention these things to customers...

Don't feel bad, before I found the experts on here a few years ago I would have taken LA at their word.

There was a member of our reef club a couple of years ago that had a H. chloropterus that killed several fish in her tank before she could get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back