All Ecotech and have Apex. Any use for Hydros?

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if all 3 of my powerheads are MP40's, and I have a Ecotech Vectra L2 return pump, and I already have the full apex system, is there a benefit to running the Hydros wave engine in addition to the apex, or would it just be a $350 waste?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MP40's can be controlled by the Apex if you can get a WXM module, but they've been discontinued and most retailers are out of stock, so you'd likely need to find one second-hand.

The Apex cannot control Vectra pumps except for On/Off. If you want speed control, you'll need another controller.

OP
OP
F

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to setup one touch feed mode, where I slow down all of the pumps. Would a reef engine be the best method for that? I'd be okay with slowing the MP's down, and leaving the return pump at full blast for feed mode.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to setup one touch feed mode, where I slow down all of the pumps. Would a reef engine be the best method for that? I'd be okay with slowing the MP's down, and leaving the return pump at full blast for feed mode.
Don't you want it the opposite? Return off and in tank flow the same? Isn't the point of a feed mode to make sure you don't send food down your overflow?

I also don't think a wave engine is good for your scenario. Can't you do a feed mode within mobius seeing as all your equipment is ecotech? The wave engine shines when you want to control multiple different companies pumps and/or eliminate powerbricks.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a Hydros in parallel with my Apex for a couple months. I have to say in terms of quality and ease of use Hydros is light years ahead of Neptune. Aesthetically I like my Apex better, but Hydros is, in my opinion, the future in reef tank controllers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back