All fish DEAD!!! except 3 stripe damsel, is he the culprit?

BrandenG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32g biocube has been running for about 2 months now. water parameters are all solid and somewhat stable. ALK 10.5, Nitrate <2 , Nitrite 0, salinity 1.025, Phosphate <.1, Ammonia 0, water temp 78. the Zoas I have do not look great, hammer coral will not extend and flow like it should, mushrooms are not looking great at all either. my inverts are doing fine and have only lost one peppermint shrimp to this point. I believe this may be a lighting issue from the stock LED's on the biocube but again I am not sure. The main issue is that my fish have all died over the span of about 10 days and showed no sign of parasite or disease. I added two more fish once the damsel was the only survivor and next day the royal gramma was dead followed by a bicolor angel a day later. they do seem to show signs of labored breathing and lay on the bottom before dying. I added an air stone thinking oxygen was a problem, this did nothing. Any and all ideas or help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use ro-DI water ? Do you run carbon ? How do you measure salinity? Does not sound like its due to the damsels. Laboured breathing could indicate velvet disease. Did you QT the fish?

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are fine, I ran mine stock for the first three months and corals were all doing just fine.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32g biocube has been running for about 2 months now. water parameters are all solid and somewhat stable. ALK 10.5, Nitrate <2 , Nitrite 0, salinity 1.025, Phosphate <.1, Ammonia 0, water temp 78. the Zoas I have do not look great, hammer coral will not extend and flow like it should, mushrooms are not looking great at all either. my inverts are doing fine and have only lost one peppermint shrimp to this point. I believe this may be a lighting issue from the stock LED's on the biocube but again I am not sure. The main issue is that my fish have all died over the span of about 10 days and showed no sign of parasite or disease. I added two more fish once the damsel was the only survivor and next day the royal gramma was dead followed by a bicolor angel a day later. they do seem to show signs of labored breathing and lay on the bottom before dying. I added an air stone thinking oxygen was a problem, this did nothing. Any and all ideas or help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
3 stripe damsels are among the most aggressive. He probably did kill at least one of them. Once one fish dies if not addressed it can cascade as ammonia levels spike, but I wouldn’t put it past a 3 stripe to kill every fish in a bio cube.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to try adding another fish, I’d remove or confine the damsel first, so that you can rule out that possibility.

OP
OP
B

BrandenG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use ro-DI water ? Do you run carbon ? How do you measure salinity? Does not sound like its due to the damsels. Laboured breathing could indicate velvet disease. Did you QT the fish?
I use distilled water from the grocery store. I use red sea salt. i have a refractometer to measure salinity that i calibrate before i test with the distilled water. i did not QT the fish because but i watched them for 2 weeks at my LFS before purchasing and they seemed healthy.

OP
OP
B

BrandenG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use distilled water from the grocery store. I use red sea salt. i have a refractometer to measure salinity that i calibrate before i test with the distilled water. i did not QT the fish because but i watched them for 2 weeks at my LFS before purchasing and they seemed healthy.
for filtration i have a coralife protein skimmer V.2, i use carbon, seachem purigen, and eggcrate foam from fluval, the blue stuff. i have recently added a bag of seachem product in filtration to elimanate hard metals that may be present.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use distilled water from the grocery store. I use red sea salt. i have a refractometer to measure salinity that i calibrate before i test with the distilled water. i did not QT the fish because but i watched them for 2 weeks at my LFS before purchasing and they seemed healthy
Distilled is basicslly equivalent to RODI. some folks will argue something other but they are simply wrong.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which red sea salt ? The pro or the blue bucket ? if it is the pro, it mixes at around 12 for 1.026 SG. If it is the blue bucket, it mixes around 8.5.
Just wondering how you end up with 10.5 DKH with red sea salt at 1.025 ?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled is more reliable than R/O when bought from commercial sources because its a fixed process. Its the best choice if you buy water from grocery stores, etc.

3 stripes are nasty to other small fish, but if he's killing your fish they will show a lot of damage with torn fins and bite marks. A bi color should be able to handle a 3 stripe though. I think there's a water chemistry issue here.

OP
OP
B

BrandenG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which red sea salt ? The pro or the blue bucket ? if it is the pro, it mixes at around 12 for 1.026 SG. If it is the blue bucket, it mixes around 8.5.
Just wondering how you end up with 10.5 DKH with red sea salt at 1.025 ?
i am using the pro red sea salt. i was dosing a little kalkwasser and i am guessing that is why my alk is at 10.5

OP
OP
B

BrandenG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled is more reliable than R/O when bought from commercial sources because its a fixed process. Its the best choice if you buy water from grocery stores, etc.

3 stripes are nasty to other small fish, but if he's killing your fish they will show a lot of damage with torn fins and bite marks. A bi color should be able to handle a 3 stripe though. I think there's a water chemistry issue here.
thank you for your response. i just may be missing something with the chemistry of the water, i am not sure tho what it could be.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shop run chemicals and different salinity to prevent outbreaks - chemicals that cannot be in a reef setting! I hope you also don’t add the fish with the water from the shop? It could have copper! Just stuff people new to the hobby oversee.. cheers and good luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back