All fish in QT because of brook/ich outbreak

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all hope you are all doing well,

I recently was forced to turn my reef upside down to catch all of my remaining fish as I had a 2 bella gobies, 3 anthias, a midas blenny and a yellow eyed kole tang pass away from ich/velvet/brook( I know its ich for sure but unsure what the tiny fuzzy white dots are)
After losing such beautiful fish which all I've had for over a year. I couldn't take it anymore and from this point moving on I will quarantine everything. My remaining fish 2 clownfish, 4 wrasse, 2 flame halkfish yellow, blue,lipstick tang is in QT luckily all of my tangs are less than 4 inches, they are in a 150 litre tub, with lost of places to hide and seem to be doing well with no fighting that I've seen.

My reef is completely empty of fish and will be for the next 3 months. How do I maintain my fishless reef? Do I keep up with water changes? Test and dose nitrate?
How do I keep all the snails/ sand sifting starfish alive and healthy? Any help in detail, would be massively appreciated.

I have never QT'd and for the past 2 years never had an issue. I believe a coral/snails I added had protozoans/eggs because after 3 weeks everything went to hell... one of the most stress full 2 weeks of my life.
honestly thought about just selling everything and being done with it.
Doing everything I can to strengthen my fish immune system failed. And over night lost 3 fish just completely devastated me. Especially the bella gobies and Kole tang.

Thank you to everyone for taking your time to read and if you are able to help me out.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fish. I know it hurts.

As far as the tank, I would feed it flake or pellets once a day but not more than that. If you have corals, I would keep up with water changes and testing.

I think your biggest challenge is your sick fish system. I would make sure to have plenty of bio spira, sponge filters, and overflow filters going. You will need to create and maintain a biological filter and check for ammonia frequently at first. A Hanna copper checker (with extra packs of testing powder), and some copper power will get you started.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fish. I know it hurts.

As far as the tank, I would feed it flake or pellets once a day but not more than that. If you have corals, I would keep up with water changes and testing.

I think your biggest challenge is your sick fish system. I would make sure to have plenty of bio spira, sponge filters, and overflow filters going. You will need to create and maintain a biological filter and check for ammonia frequently at first. A Hanna copper checker (with extra packs of testing powder), and some copper power will get you started.

Good luck.
Thanks so much dwest will do. I took out a bunch of Spiropax about 10.4oz of it with the fish it's over a year and a half old and I got 3 more packs in the reef. So I just ordered 3 more extra packs to get the beneficial bacteria to strengthen up again as much as possible before fish slowly start going back in.

Upvote 0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably know that time is not your friend here. If your fish have ich or velvet, I would get to the 2.5 ppm chelated copper level quickly (12 hours or less). Again, good luck.

I don’t believe that siporax will absorb copper, but am unsure. Hanna checker is critical IMO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably know that time is not your friend here. If your fish have ich or velvet, I would get to the 2.5 ppm chelated copper level quickly (12 hours or less). Again, good luck.

I don’t believe that siporax will absorb copper, but am unsure. Hanna checker is critical IMO.

One of my LFS recommended waterlife cuprazin. I'm on day 3 so seeing how it goes. No spots on the fish all breathing normally so knock on wood everything is going well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news... lost my pair of clownfish. One over night and one once I got home. A wrasse and my flame halk.. I have 3 wrasse and 3 tangs left. Absolutely devastated. I wish I would have just found somewhere and got cupramine. The cuprazin I'm using doesn't have many reviews and haven't seen any success stories..

Upvote 0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news... lost my pair of clownfish. One over night and one once I got home. A wrasse and my flame halk.. I have 3 wrasse and 3 tangs left. Absolutely devastated. I wish I would have just found somewhere and got cupramine. The cuprazin I'm using doesn't have many reviews and haven't seen any success stories..
Sorry.

I looked up cuprazine the other day but couldn’t really understand what it is. It could be fine, I just don’t know. Sometime the fish are too far gone that no meds will help. Do you see any improvements in the others?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry.

I looked up cuprazine the other day but couldn’t really understand what it is. It could be fine, I just don’t know. Sometime the fish are too far gone that no meds will help. Do you see any improvements in the others?
They become very stressed when I'm near the tank. The wrasse eat and ive caught the yellow tang eat but haven't seen the blue or lipstick tang eat... the small amount of nori I am putting in is gone within 2 hours and all the fish look fat but. I think cuprazine is messing with the apatite of the fish. They did all go from a 5ft tank to a 50 litre container. Luckily they are all still small. And I've ordered a 120 litre tank that I will be using for Qt from now on. And it should be here tomorrow and I'll be dropping the cuprazine and changing to cupramine and reset the 30 days.. for QT even though my DT is going to be empty for 3 months so it. All I care about is the health of the fish. If I lose the yellow tang I don't know what I'm going to do. I think it'll be impossible to get another one because they are stupid expensive I can get a tiny gem tang for almost the same price at my lfs, even though I don't want to replace it any way. Man this absolutely sucks. Wish I knew what I put in that caused the ich. Cos now I don't know who to trust...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They become very stressed when I'm near the tank. The wrasse eat and ive caught the yellow tang eat but haven't seen the blue or lipstick tang eat... the small amount of nori I am putting in is gone within 2 hours and all the fish look fat but. I think cuprazine is messing with the apatite of the fish. They did all go from a 5ft tank to a 50 litre container. Luckily they are all still small. And I've ordered a 120 litre tank that I will be using for Qt from now on. And it should be here tomorrow and I'll be dropping the cuprazine and changing to cupramine and reset the 30 days.. for QT even though my DT is going to be empty for 3 months so it. All I care about is the health of the fish. If I lose the yellow tang I don't know what I'm going to do. I think it'll be impossible to get another one because they are stupid expensive I can get a tiny gem tang for almost the same price at my lfs, even though I don't want to replace it any way. Man this absolutely sucks. Wish I knew what I put in that caused the ich. Cos now I don't know who to trust...
Stay away from Waterlife cuprazin... lipstick tang died. And now the blue and yellow tang I have won't even eat live food... completely stuck on what to do

Upvote 0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear the losses. Sadly it usally takes a tragic event for hobbyists to qurantine. We've all learned our hard lessons.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear the losses. Sadly it usally takes a tragic event for hobbyists to qurantine. We've all learned our hard lessons.
Hardest lesson I've ever learned over a course of 2 weeks I've lost.

1 yellow eyed Kole tang 8 months
1 Yellow tang - 1year and a half
1 lipstick Tang - 6 months
1 midas blenny 1 year
2 bella Gobies - 9 months
2 clownfish - 2 years
3 anthias - 1 year
1 naoko wrasse - 1 year
1 pink rainbow wrasse - 1 year
1 flame Halk - 1 year

I'm absolutely devastated, I have
1 blue tang
1 yellow silver bellied wrase.
1 cleaner wrasse
1 fairy wrasse
1 Red head solon wrasse
1 spotted halk

All because of a coral or inverts i put into the tank... how do u even QT snails?

The tanks running fishless for 3months and its going to reset when I buy a bunch of corals frags and snails.

Upvote 0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All because of a coral or inverts i put into the tank... how do u even QT snails?

The tanks running fishless for 3months and its going to reset when I buy a bunch of corals frags and snails.
There's a table of timeline in the Fish disease forum that shows you that. Me personally I put my snails in their own qurantine tank for a minimum 30 days before transfering them to my display.

Upvote 0

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a table of timeline in the Fish disease forum that shows you that. Me personally I put my snails in their own qurantine tank for a minimum 30 days before transfering them to my display.
During this time what do you look for? How many qt setups do you have?

Upvote 0

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During this time what do you look for? How many qt setups do you have?
I used to have a 15g qurantine for corals. I no longer keep corals so I don't run it anymore. I ran a sperate 10g for inverts. My main purpose was to get rid of ich. And I run TTM for fish so the tank is only up when I get new fish.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back