All for reef - Can I use it only based on kh levels??

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, thus is incorrect. I spoke with Hans from TM a d you base dosing only on ALK. Calc and Mag will fall inline

Yes, but be aware that it's not that simple. Unlike other dosing reagents, AFR does not immediately convert to Alk/Ca in the tank. Calcium Formate requires a biological processes to breakdown the Formate into Alk. This can take hours or days. As the tank biome adjusts to the Formate this processes becomes quicker.

OP
OP
GuilhermeLba

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, gotta study a lil more before trying, but I guess for my nano cube water change might be enough for now, If it isn't I might buy a salt focused on coral growth to keep it, I guess

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, gotta study a lil more before trying, but I guess for my nano cube water change might be enough for now, If it isn't I might buy a salt focused on coral growth to keep it, I guess

When I was running a small tank I used high-parameter salt water changes to maintain my parameters. Worked for years.

Renton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a primarily LPS system and I started out dosing 5ml a day for about 25g of total water volume. I tested alk everyday for 2 weeks before making any adjustments. Alk initially was all over the place and then started to decrease slowly during the 2nd week so I upped my dosing to 7.5ml of AFR. Continued to test everyday for another 2 weeks and my alk was increasing by about .1 on average.
I now dose 7ml spread out over 7 1ml/hr doses after lights turn on and my alk stays at a pretty consistent 8.5/8.4. I test my alk weekly and do a water change every other month. Corals, clam and fish are all happy and healthy.

My advice is to start off slow before making any adjustments and test daily to get a good feel for what the alk is really doing in your tank. Do yourself a favor and get an alk hannah checker you will not regret it.

OP
OP
GuilhermeLba

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a primarily LPS system and I started out dosing 5ml a day for about 25g of total water volume. I tested alk everyday for 2 weeks before making any adjustments. Alk initially was all over the place and then started to decrease slowly during the 2nd week so I upped my dosing to 7.5ml of AFR. Continued to test everyday for another 2 weeks and my alk was increasing by about .1 on average.
I now dose 7ml spread out over 7 1ml/hr doses after lights turn on and my alk stays at a pretty consistent 8.5/8.4. I test my alk weekly and do a water change every other month. Corals, clam and fish are all happy and healthy.

My advice is to start off slow before making any adjustments and test daily to get a good feel for what the alk is really doing in your tank. Do yourself a favor and get an alk hannah checker you will not regret it.
I guess I might not try it for now, my tank doesn't have too many lps n they r too tiny yet, might change my salt thought to a high leveled one, like reef crystals or coral pro salt

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back