All for reef or red sea alk cal mag

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I just upgrade my tank to the waterbox 130.4... debating on dosing all for reef or the red sea alk cal mag... Would I benefit from using all for reef if I am doing weekly water changes?... Tank will be a mixed reef... I am using red sea blue bucket for salt

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I just upgrade my tank to the waterbox 130.4... debating on dosing all for reef or the red sea alk cal mag... Would I benefit from using all for reef if I am doing weekly water changes?... Tank will be a mixed reef... I am using red sea blue bucket for salt
Both products are great! All for reef helps to stabilize everything in your reef given that you have proper flow and balance of the livestock. It also makes it so you only need one dosing pump, and it even has trace elements mixed in. However, the Red Sea program gives you a bit more control in case one parameter begins to get out of Wack. But even then, you can always purchase the original balling components and make adjustments accordingly. Once the tank starts to consume the major ions in greater amounts, it may become more cost effective to run the red sea program on a tank that size.

Hope this helps,

Gavin

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both products are great! All for reef helps to stabilize everything in your reef given that you have proper flow and balance of the livestock. It also makes it so you only need one dosing pump, and it even has trace elements mixed in. However, the Red Sea program gives you a bit more control in case one parameter begins to get out of Wack. But even then, you can always purchase the original balling components and make adjustments accordingly. Once the tank starts to consume the major ions in greater amounts, it may become more cost effective to run the red sea program on a tank that size.

Hope this helps,

Gavin
Thanks

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope this helps,

Gavin
I have the Apex dos so I currently have two pumps

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have low pH, the red sea would be better. If you want something convenient, the all for reef is better. I typically don't recommend red seas dosing as they are expensive compared to something like thag from brs, have some contaminants in their calcium (may or may not be an issue), and do not simplify it like other companies. Other calcium and alk additives in a two part setup allow you to dose them equally but red sea doesn't do this.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have low pH, the red sea would be better. If you want something convenient, the all for reef is better. I typically don't recommend red seas dosing as they are expensive compared to something like thag from brs, have some contaminants in their calcium (may or may not be an issue), and do not simplify it like other companies. Other calcium and alk additives in a two part setup allow you to dose them equally but red sea doesn't do this.
My jbj 65 is running on all for reef right now... It seems to be working good I am dosing 10 mils a day..... Wen u say two part do u mean u mix the alk and cal togather then dose that.... And I do have low ph in the jbj 65

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed my A4R conversion from 2-part (see thread), my only goal was simplicity since I am now staying away from my tank for a good part of the winter, I still need to continue testing before my final verdict.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jbj 65 is running on all for reef right now... It seems to be working good I am dosing 10 mils a day..... Wen u say two part do u mean u mix the alk and cal togather then dose that.... And I do have low ph in the jbj 65

2 part refers to dosing an alk and calcium product thag can be dosed in equal proportions, making dosing very simple. A low pH would be below 7.8 or 7.9, and 8.3 is ideal (faster coral growth). However, a tank can be functional at those lower values.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part refers to dosing an alk and calcium product thag can be dosed in equal proportions, making dosing very simple. A low pH would be below 7.8 or 7.9, and 8.3 is ideal (faster coral growth). However, a tank can be functional at those lower values.
Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed my A4R conversion from 2-part (see thread), my only goal was simplicity since I am now staying away from my tank for a good part of the winter, I still need to continue testing before my final verdict.

That's why I use all for reef. I am away from my tank months at a time

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back