All For Reef Vs Balling 3 Part - regardless of price

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

100 Liter tank, SPS dominant. About 9 months old. Regardless of price, I want to evaluate TM All For Reef Vs BRS TM Balling.

TM AFR "one part" -- Benefits - One doser needed. Balanced element dosing. Customizable for Magnesium consumption and Calcium consumption. Cons - no pH Boost, delay in alkalinity boost.

For BRS TM Balling 3 part -- Benefits - I can get a pH boost from sodium carbonate. Balanced. Customizable. Instant alkalinity boost so more measurable. Cons - Need to purchase three dosers. Space.

Do they handle trace elements equally respective to each other? Can both handle the trace element demands of SPS? Will I need to dose more trace elements with one verses the other?

I'd like to use the Neptune DOS to dose the system for whatever method I decide.

JPuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

100 Liter tank, SPS dominant. About 9 months old. Regardless of price, I want to evaluate TM All For Reef Vs BRS TM Balling.

TM AFR "one part" -- Benefits - One doser needed. Balanced element dosing. Customizable for Magnesium consumption and Calcium consumption. Cons - no pH Boost, delay in alkalinity boost.

For BRS TM Balling 3 part -- Benefits - I can get a pH boost from sodium carbonate. Balanced. Customizable. Instant alkalinity boost so more measurable. Cons - Need to purchase three dosers. Space.

Do they handle trace elements equally respective to each other? Can both handle the trace element demands of SPS? Will I need to dose more trace elements with one verses the other?

I'd like to use the Neptune DOS to dose the system for whatever method I decide.
Which product did you end up buying?

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to go with the balling method, but the All For Reef is tempting.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which product did you end up buying?

I think I am going to go with the balling method, but the All For Reef is tempting.

I ended up going with DIY ALL FOR REEF and for the most part I like it. Edit- I actually do like it a lot. It’s very simple and effective. I am running a 28 gallon SPS tank that’s packed with this. Not much trouble.

pros-

*Having one doser pump handling it all is very attractive.
*The alkalinity is Rock solid
*Get a little bit of a carbon dosing for nutrient control
*Magnesium can be adjusted independently
*Trace Elements can be slightly adjusted

cons-

*Calcium and alkalinity are always assumed to be consumed 1:1, but I find that my calcium is creeping up higher than I like. I think if your starting calcium mix is lower, it would be better. It might be better to go with Tropic Marin Classic.
*Ive had two ICP tests that show iodine to be low. I haven’t seen my other elements like fluorine and bromine and etc to be low because I don’t have that test in my ICP.
>>> so my solution to this is get a wider test to have more elements tested and then adjust Trace A- (add more than the recipe calls) to up the elements deficient in. The issue is that you may overdose other Trace elements
*No pH boost from the sodium carbonate

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can really get a big ph boost from the balling 3 part vs the diy all for reef?

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for the reef is better for tanks that do larger water changes. So the water changes fix whatever off. That said I use it just because it easy and adjust weekly whatever is off with the balling parts.

we can really get a big ph boost from the balling 3 part vs the diy all for reef?
depending on how much you dose daily. Kalk is better if looking for ph raise from dosing.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why all for reef should be better for big water change tropic marin said than with all for reef water change could even be not necessary but still recommend it for evacuate the bad things from the tank

Back