All-Glass MegaFlow Model 3 Sump as Refugium Conversion Viabilitiy

dpb1298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I recently acquired a MegaFlow Model 3 for a sump, and I wanted to take the large bottom compartment and turn it into a refugium. My concerns are a) will the trickle from the bio-balls compartment (which will likely be replaced with live rock) be too strong of a flow? and secondly b) is the overflow with the filter pad inappropriate for a refugium outlet? IE, will it strain out copepods and or be too strong of a flow? I know most refugiums are in a center compartment with little holes in the acrylic or glass for the water to flow and was just wondering if this would still work. Pictures below.
This is my first time trying sumps, and a reef tank so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've got a 1,000 gallon freshwater pond and 180 winter tank back home.

1567432307056.png

1567432248211.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say flow is a concern. I have never had success with a refugium in a sump with a flow through design. The exception is in a smaller tank with less than 500gph flow.

OP
OP
dpb1298

dpb1298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say flow is a concern. I have never had success with a refugium in a sump with a flow through design. The exception is in a smaller tank with less than 500gph flow.
It's for a 30 gallon cube and I am keeping the return flow at 160.
Would it work in this case?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpb1298

dpb1298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work fine, I would put a light on both sides.
Thanks for the input! I was eyeing the Chaetomax light and planning to put liverock and Chaeto in it.
Could I replace the bioballs with liverock in the trickle compartment, or should I leave them in and just put live rock in the refugium compartment?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can raise the water level to completely submerge the live rock it would be better. The wet/dry trickle effect is really not that effecient with todays knowledge. It would likely be best to remove them all together. You could customize an acrylic baffle to raise the water level and increase the water volume in the sump. Just do your math and make sure when the return pump is off you will not flood the sump. The added water volume will give you room to add what ever items you choose to the sump; abundance of macro and live rock, etc.

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I recently acquired a MegaFlow Model 3 for a sump, and I wanted to take the large bottom compartment and turn it into a refugium. My concerns are a) will the trickle from the bio-balls compartment (which will likely be replaced with live rock) be too strong of a flow? and secondly b) is the overflow with the filter pad inappropriate for a refugium outlet? IE, will it strain out copepods and or be too strong of a flow? I know most refugiums are in a center compartment with little holes in the acrylic or glass for the water to flow and was just wondering if this would still work. Pictures below.
This is my first time trying sumps, and a reef tank so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've got a 1,000 gallon freshwater pond and 180 winter tank back home.

1567432307056.png

1567432248211.png
I have one and am running it with cheato and it works great! I moved the grill to the side to keep the cheato away from the skimmer intake.
16797420689642049372882.jpg

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and am running it with cheato and it works great! I moved the grill to the side to keep the cheato away from the skimmer intake.
16797420689642049372882.jpg
I also plan on putting a buffer plate to divert the dropping streams to lessen the fall to one side to create a direct flow to cause the cheato to tumble and create a smoother flow through the cheato.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back