EyeofAwe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did it after a bunch of reading and YouTube video. I decided let me get into this hobby and just go all in! Then I did.
Here is my build list equipment

Tank: Redsea Reefer G2
Filter: ReefMat 500
Skimmer: Reefer Skimmer 300
Lights: ReefLED x 2 w/ mounting arms - Waiting on arms to be delivered
Wave pumps: Reefwave 25 x 2 - Waiting to be delivered.
Dosing: Reef Dose 4.
Return Pump: Simplicity 2100 DC. I know not Redsea but waiting it is to be released and then this pump with be my back up.
Aquascape: CaribSea Life Rock 20lbs and pillar I purchased from LFS. All dry
Sand: 60lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink aragonite
Power management: Kasa Smart Power Strip ( Will need 1 more)

Set the entire set up in one day. This tank is heavy but super solid and easy to put together. The stand is also good quality. Now full discloser my first saltwater tank so I mean don't have to many stands to compare except for what I seen in my LFSs.

Once the stand was set up and designed my aquascape. ( Let me know what you think)

Once that was done I realized I wanted to make sure my wires were not visible so I also added and extra outlet (GFCI) behind the stand to try to get a cleaner look.

Once that was done went and got some saltwater and added the Fiji pink and started my cycle.

Cycling- Decided to go with Microbactor but I purchased Microbactor 7 but did some more reading and Microbactor states I should be using Starter XLM. So i will do some more research and go to my LFS and see what I should use to add during my cycle.

Reefmat had a little trouble initially getting the reefMat to connect but is working fine now. Just had to reset ReefMat and seems to be working well now.

What I will be doing next, Adding more bacteria to the water, Cable management, setting up my dose and the dosing lines. Then finally once my wave maker and light stands get in set those up. But for lights I will not be during those on anytime soon so not having the stands is helping me not to get tempted to see how it looks like under the lights. But I think it looks good so far.

The pictures are all out of order but its all about progress.

Open to feedback and suggestions on on Cable management and Cycling especially. Thank you! Happy Reefing!!!

IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2390.JPG tempImageyRqYTL.png IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2425.JPG IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2399.PNG IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2392.JPG

pusztareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start.
There are different way to cycle a tank, they all work.
I personally don’t like the fish in cycle, since it’s not necessary. Just stick to whatever you choose and you will be fine.
and remember that the nitrogen cycle is just the beginning.
good luck
grtz
igor

OP
OP
EyeofAwe

EyeofAwe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start.
There are different way to cycle a tank, they all work.
I personally don’t like the fish in cycle, since it’s not necessary. Just stick to whatever you choose and you will be fine.
and remember that the nitrogen cycle is just the beginning.
good luck
grtz
igor
Thanks for the advice and stopping by the thread.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great I am build a RS 300XL too. but its going way to slow...

I am a big fan of fritz turbo start bottled bac. fallowed by brightwell start. use both a few times. fritz is "faster" by a day or two. but like said above the cycle is one thing where tank maturity is another.
good luck!

OP
OP
EyeofAwe

EyeofAwe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great I am build a RS 300XL too. but its going way to slow...

I am a big fan of fritz turbo start bottled bac. fallowed by brightwell start. use both a few times. fritz is "faster" by a day or two. but like said above the cycle is one thing where tank maturity is another.
good luck!
Thank you for the advice and for checking out my build.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the rock work. You are off to great start. Like devaji said fritz's turbo start is great. Needs ammonia for it to work. I threw 2 raw shrimp in for about 5 days then added the fritz's. I put them in the filter socks so i could remove them easy. THe fritz reduced my ammonia from 3 to 0 over night. Then added 2 clownfish right away.

One thing i would suggest here to help with the ugly phase that most tanks get at start up is add a algae turf scrubber out the gate. I bought the clearwater one and started it from day 1 with the rotting shrimp in tank. Its expensive but worth every penny. Get that algae growing pronto and you wont get any dinos cyano and hair algae in tank or at least very minimal. Using dry rock and not live rock can make it hard to get thru the ugly phase without tank looking nasty.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your rock work. Good job for your first aquascape . I'm filling the same tank as we speak after moving it from one room to another then back again :zany-face: it's not my only tank so I'm just working on getting it cycled and will add equipment as I go.

OP
OP
EyeofAwe

EyeofAwe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!!

Cable management - Well I tried and then I had more cables so it is still a work in progress but looking good so far.

ReefDose lines are all set up and dosing the return chamber. Currently have Calcium, KH/Alkalinity and magnesium on the doing lines.

Two Reefwave 25s are installed still debating placement. Will determine terminate placement once corals are really in.

The Light Arms are not installed and lights are up. However going dark for a few months to see if I can beat the ugly cycle as much as possible.

Added 5 Trochus snail already mainly because they were covered in coralline algae and it was my hope that this would help introduce the algae to the tank.

I put 3 coral frags in the tank as test corals. I could use your help IDing them. One Zoanthids, two Euphyllia, and one other one I just dont remember the name after picking it up. Photos attached your input is always helpful to help ID.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.JPG
    IMG_2463.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 55

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank one piece of advice is when you do cable management that pumps need to be removed and cleaned once in a while

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back