All my fish are dying (panting, then dying)

Salomlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a FWLRO tank for about two years. I added new fish and inverts about two months ago.

Some of the new fish died early on, but then the tank seemed to stabilize.

But over the past week, one to two fish are dying everyday.

All the parameters are normal, stable, and what they've been for the past year at least, with no issues.

As per the attached video, I cannot see any external signs of parasites, infections, etc.

But all the fish are panting heavily, then they lose their color, and die.

I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what the issue is.

Any suggestions as to how to determine the issue would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Seth

Attachments

• Fish Panting.mp4
    3.7 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SO - 1. what is a FWLRO tank. 2, What are the parameters that are normal every day? 3. If you can't see anything my comment would be flukes - others will say otherwise.

The Key question would be did you QT the fish up front

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The suggestion would be - without knowing anything else - Take the fish out - Treat them with copper - for 30 days - then Prazipro - for the prescribed time - leave your display fallow for your determined time per protocol - and go from there

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS sorry Seth - cannot see the video. In any case - copper. Then prazipro

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the previous questions, what was the most recent addition and how recent was it? Have any of the fish been observed swimming into the flow?
Flukes or velvet would be my guess. The sudden deaths suggest velvet, but it usually doesn’t wait months like flukes would. Both can cause rapid breathing, though the very fast breathing shown look like velvet to me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had a FWLRO tank for about two years. I added new fish and inverts about two months ago.

All the parameters are normal, stable, and what they've been for the past year at least, with no issues.

As per the attached video, I cannot see any external signs of parasites, infections, etc.

Any suggestions as to how to determine the issue would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Seth
FOWLR tanks generally easier. It appears issues began with introduction of last set of fish
I assume they were acclimated and released opposed to quarantine?
Some causes may be:
Flukes
Velvet
although would be seen
Stray voltage
Change in water source
Aerosol exposure
Ph drop
Unknown predator from live rock
Pets urinating in sump

These are some scenarios. Have you had an ICP test within last 6-12 months?

Any unusual behaviors you’ve noticed such as heavy breathing, fiush seem to be yawning, fish lethatgic, sudden darting or flashing, fish swimming in front of power heads or at surface?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thank you!

Seth
Just was able to get to my computer and the wrasse and tang are breathing very labored and my suspicion is flukes. the lethargic behavior i see supports the suspicion.
What is your water temperature? Adding an airstone will give them some relief. While Praziquantel (prazipro) wil help with this and can be used in display as your tank is FOWLER, I prefer a quarantine but again can be performed in display. Remove any carbon before you start and add carbon back in when finished.
The formula for Prazi is start with removing your skimmer cup but leave the skimmer running as prazi-pro will make your skimmer go nuts. It will produce a truly amazing amount of bubbles so still have your skimmer running to keep the oxygen levels high in the water as some medications like praz-pro can lower the amount of oxygen in the water which is something you want to avoid so I recommend running an airstone in addition to treatment.
Also . . . again remove any type of carbon that you have running to allow Prazi to run at full strength which will be One dosage (which is an interval) for an 8 day interval, change water and treat again for one more 8 day interval. If in display, treat at 80% of recommended dosage and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit during treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this is most likely flukes. However, it is also possible for fish to have multiple diseases/issues - so flukes and velvet, or flukes and low dissolved oxygen, etc.

First thing is to add an air stone to the tank to boost the oxygen levels as high as you can. Then, you need to decide if you are going to treat for velvet first (copper) or flukes (praziquantel). That will have to be a guess on your part - if the fish have been dying over a period of weeks, it is more likely flukes, if there have been high losses over a few days, it is more likely velvet.

I do need to add, and I can't stress this enough - once you have seen major fish loss, and with fish breathing as fast as the tang and wrasse are, it is very likely you will not be able to save them, even if you start a treatment right now.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Salomlar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

Seth
I agree this is most likely flukes. However, it is also possible for fish to have multiple diseases/issues - so flukes and velvet, or flukes and low dissolved oxygen, etc.

First thing is to add an air stone to the tank to boost the oxygen levels as high as you can. Then, you need to decide if you are going to treat for velvet first (copper) or flukes (praziquantel). That will have to be a guess on your part - if the fish have been dying over a period of weeks, it is more likely flukes, if there have been high losses over a few days, it is more likely velvet.

I do need to add, and I can't stress this enough - once you have seen major fish loss, and with fish breathing as fast as the tang and wrasse are, it is very likely you will not be able to save them, even if you start a treatment right now.

Jay
Thank you all for the quick and decisive responses and guidance. I've moved the remaining fish to my quarantine tank and am starting off treatment with Esera Ominpur:

(Composition: 9-amino acridine hydrochloride 105 mg, acriflavine chloride 600 mg, ethacridine lactate 3375 mg, malachite green oxalate 79 mg, aqua purificata ad 100 ml.)

Hopefully, I can save a few....

Thanks!
Seth

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the quick and decisive responses and guidance. I've moved the remaining fish to my quarantine tank and am starting off treatment with Esera Ominpur:

(Composition: 9-amino acridine hydrochloride 105 mg, acriflavine chloride 600 mg, ethacridine lactate 3375 mg, malachite green oxalate 79 mg, aqua purificata ad 100 ml.)

Hopefully, I can save a few....

Thanks!
Seth

Sera omnipur A is for freshwater aquariums, is your product that one?

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back