All my fish are hyperventilating and my corals are shrinking in HELP!

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you. Do you bleach anything like your filter sock, filter media, ect.

I had the exact same problem. I bleach my canister filter. I forgot to add aquasafe one time - wiped out my tank..

Nope never do

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower tank temp one degree as the higher the temp, the lower the oxygen level. Additionally, run some carbon if you are not already and what is Ammonia and nitrite/nitrate level.
Also - What is salinity ( low salinity will cause an issue). Should be 1.024-1.026

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower tank temp one degree as the higher the temp, the lower the oxygen level. Additionally, run some carbon if you are not already and what is Ammonia and nitrite/nitrate level.
Also - What is salinity ( low salinity will cause an issue). Should be 1.024-1.026

Salinity 1.025 ammonia at 0 temp at 78° already running carbon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest not adding anything to the tank for about three months, and let tank stabilize.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stayed at a constant 0
The Nitrate level stays at 0 . Before and after the event? How the nitrate level is kept at 0, in a normal stocked closed aquarium system?
How the nitrogen cycle is managed? Are supplements added to the system to control nitrate?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nitrate level stays at 0 . Before and after the event? How the nitrate level is kept at 0, in a normal stocked closed aquarium system?
How the nitrogen cycle is managed? Are supplements added to the system to control nitrate?

Well i have a enormous CUC any algae blooms they clean up overnight, my system is full of copepods and my rock structure is a lot and have tons of sponges and all different types of critters I’ve got a good system running

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning guys.. I started to read this today.. jumping to last page.. was the mystery solved? Anyone consider.. fish dies (from old age, or from the zoa water disease ect ) ammonia goes up rapidly, wreaks havac.. kills another.. and eventually stabilizes back again. I have had this,, with a bacteria bloom in between which depleted the oxygen and caused more to die.. chain reaction.. do we have orp readings? Sorry if this was all covered all ready..

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning guys.. I started to read this today.. jumping to last page.. was the mystery solved? Anyone consider.. fish dies (from old age, or from the zoa water disease ect ) ammonia goes up rapidly, wreaks havac.. kills another.. and eventually stabilizes back again. I have had this,, with a bacteria bloom in between which depleted the oxygen and caused more to die.. chain reaction.. do we have orp readings? Sorry if this was all covered all ready..

All very young fish maybe max of 4 years old but we decided on being chemical warfare of my corals

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you have a lot of fish for a 55G, 3 tangs + more. lots of bioload using oxygen. perhaps a couple of your cuc died in the night and raised ammonia, causing a small bloom of bacteria, using up more oxygen at night when it's already low, killing your coral beauty which caused even more ammonia and more bacteria bloom and so on, weakening your fish, which are cramped in your tank and causing stress.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you have a lot of fish for a 55G, 3 tangs + more. lots of bioload using oxygen. perhaps a couple of your cuc died in the night and raised ammonia, causing a small bloom of bacteria, using up more oxygen at night when it's already low, killing your coral beauty which caused even more ammonia and more bacteria bloom and so on, weakening your fish, which are cramped in your tank and causing stress.

Not once have I had a issue with my stock of fish they were fine and none of my cuc were dying at the time and my oxygen levels seem fine just was a mistake to add so many zoas at once

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back