All new Dry rock to running tank

Does BRS Reefsaver rock need to be 'cured'?

• Yes it needs cured

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it doesn't need cured, there's nothing on it

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No it doesn't need cured

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • It needs cured/cycled if you don't have an established bacteria population

• Total voters

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an issue with my rocks not staying together/shifting. The tank is currently set up and i've tried over and over to get a sturdy base and rockscape.

My question is, can I take dry rock such as BRS reefsaver, build it on the floor, cement it all together and then take my current live rock, put it into my refugium section [all flow goes through the refugium] and put the new aquascaped rocks into the tank?

Would rinsing/soaking in RODI for a few days [or a week] be enough on reefsaver (there isn't supposed to be anything in/on it) to avoid problems with ammonia spikes/nitrate/phosphate?

Is there any issue with moving all of the current bio-filtration [live rock] to the refugium section of my sump? I have fairly high flow coming from my overflows to my sump, but the water goes "over" the baffle from the refugium. Would the rock on the bottom possibly not get enough flow to maintain the bacteria?

Any insight/info would be great!

Also, if anyone's used the reefsaver BRS dry rock, and can comment on any smell/issues you had that would be very helpful as well!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can do that - you can also use reef safe expoxy. You can also drill it and put acrylic rods into it.

People have had issues with BRS rock having all kinds of bound terrestrial phosphate - some have not. It is a risk. If yours is full of it, then washing it in acid can help, but nothing takes care of all of it. It can take a year or two in the tank to get it all out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Back