All new hermits died within one week! But new snails fine

MrWhippy619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week week i picked up four hermits two red scarlets and two blue legged along with 8 turbo snails
the snails have been fine munching away as snails do but the hermits have all died! I already had a Halloween hermit in the tank and hes been fine and i didnt see him bother any of the new ones either. i acclimated them all correctly my parameters are all good salinity does not fluctuate so i have no idea why they died. all died within a few days of each other not all at once they had plenty of food in the tank to pick at so any idea why they might have died? and i know someone will likely mention if the crabs are definitely dead and they were not moults as i know what moults look like

Any ideas or help would be appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How did you acclimate them?
What is your salinity and water temperature?

OP
OP
M

MrWhippy619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate them?
What is your salinity and water temperature?
Just a slow drip acclimation for about 30 minutes until temp and salinity is similar
Salinity is 1.024 and Temp I keep at 26 degrees celsius

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just a slow drip acclimation for about 30 minutes until temp and salinity is similar
Salinity is 1.024 and Temp I keep at 26 degrees celsius
I add a cup of water every 15 mins to a bucket for about 1.5 hr.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably starved to death I have 2 hermit crabs that have been in my system for at least two years or a bit more

Attachments

• 82A35CCF-F02A-454B-A4FC-E5A0B2B22EFC.jpeg
    82A35CCF-F02A-454B-A4FC-E5A0B2B22EFC.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 23
  • A9F0AC7A-EAD2-485A-BEE3-EF8EFB652EE5.jpeg
    A9F0AC7A-EAD2-485A-BEE3-EF8EFB652EE5.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
M

MrWhippy619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably starved to death I have 2 hermit crabs that have been in my system for at least two years or a bit more
Strange because they had plenty of food available some of them didn't even move from where i put them and died by the morning

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they starved to death - Would be extremely rare for 4 hermits to all starve wihtin a few days of eachother - They are scavengers, so would have to be in extremely clean tanks to starve aswell as extremely clean tanks at the LFS too.

Id be more inclined to think you have somehting picking them off if they all died within days of eachother. How did you find they were dead? Bodies out in the open? Without knowing any in depth details id put it down to an error in acclimation or a rogue hermit on the kill, like your existing halloween hermit.

OP
OP
M

MrWhippy619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they starved to death - Would be extremely rare for 4 hermits to all starve wihtin a few days of eachother - They are scavengers, so would have to be in extremely clean tanks to starve aswell as extremely clean tanks at the LFS too.

Id be more inclined to think you have somehting picking them off if they all died within days of eachother. How did you find they were dead? Bodies out in the open? Without knowing any in depth details id put it down to an error in acclimation or a rogue hermit on the kill, like your existing halloween hermit.
The bodies had just sort of slipped out the shell just laying motionless some of them didn't even come out of the shell when i put them in and the only time i saw them was their dead bodies in the morning i kept a close eye on them and my Halloween didn't bother them as far as im aware i do also have a pistol shrimp but i didnt hear him snap as the tank is in my room

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back