All new tanks come pre-drilled for Hydra Mounts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just spoke with the Red Sea team and they stated this is no longer temporary but is permanent. They're making all reefer series going forward with the predrilled holes for the AI mounts. Sounds like they have an agreement with AI. They stated all Reefer series tanks with or without the complete AI package will be predrilled with no exceptions. Total Bummer o_O

Have a name of the person you spoke with?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with the Red Sea team and they stated this is no longer temporary but is permanent. They're making all reefer series going forward with the predrilled holes for the AI mounts. Sounds like they have an agreement with AI. They stated all Reefer series tanks with or without the complete AI package will be predrilled with no exceptions. Total Bummer o_O
Yeah and I bet they won't sell you the led mounts with out the Hydra's. That's what their doing for the S Series too. They wont let your buy the S Series frame with out the Hydra's. I wanted the frame and was going to drop in two GHL LX 7 Mytra's in it. Red Sea said you have to buy the Hydra's too. :mad:

They have got to be getting the AI's dirt cheap and it's all about the profit.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a name of the person you spoke with?
I called on Friday and couldn't get a clear answer from the gentlemen I spoke with and today I called back and spoke with a female. I believe her name was Jessica.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called on Friday and couldn't get a clear answer from the gentlemen I spoke with and today I called back and spoke with a female. I believe her name was Jessica.
Also I reached out to the folks at BRS to contact their account/sales rep at Red Sea directly to get something more official.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I reached out to the folks at BRS to contact their sales rep at Red Sea directly to get something more official.
Did BRS confirm that the glass holes will be the way it's going to be going forward on the "Reefer" series?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be getting a call back from them shortly. Stay tuned.....
So they stated Red Sea is working on trying to phase out the drilled tanks. It appears the sales with the AI kits are not doing as well as they hoped. Seems there has been some negotiation on if they will discontinue the AI package line or if they're contract with AI can be renegotiated. So they've been using the tanks already pre-drilled to send out to customers to fulfill orders. If you would like a non-drilled tank you would need to contact the Red Sea reseller such as BRS to contact their sales rep at the time of the order so Red Sea can confirm the order is not to include the predrilled tanks. Sounds like a mess. With that said I'd rather not chance the headache and disappointment of possibly getting a predrilled tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a mess. With that said I'd rather not chance the headache and disappointment of possibly getting a predrilled tank.
+1
Thanks for the Info and Red Sea has made their OWN mess for their greediness over what a "Reefer" customer wants to do with the "Reefer" concept.

Even if I wanted Hydra's I don't want my glass drilled and plugged to mount them.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Thanks for the Info and Red Sea has made their OWN mess for their greediness over what a "Reefer" customer wants to do with the "Reefer" concept.

Even if I wanted Hydra's I don't want my glass drilled and plugged to mount them.
I hear that. I don't think anyone agrees with the glass being drilled. Why not make the mounts attach to the stand if anything?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the original E series and S Series led upgrade. You can see the S Series later in the video.
I was so pumped and was waiting on it :) and then they released the Hydra kit :mad:

I hope their stuck with about 75,000 Hydra's units collecting dust in their warehouses. :D

Last edited:

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On April 11th, I got this response when I emailed Red Sea

When we came out with the deluxe version of the Reefers all tanks were drilled even if it was a standard Reefer that was ordered. We will be phasing that out in the near future as we came up with different lighting mounts for the AI lights. I am not sure yet when that will start to take effect.

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unreal. Way to ruin a good thing when they basically cornered the market with a great rimless setup at a good price. If this doesn't change it would definitely rule them out for my upgrade and right now I was looking at the 425 xl or one of the new larger reefer series tanks.

While I'm putting in my 2 cents about this poor design decision for greedy purposes I also want to say that I hate the fact the stand has a brace down the middle limiting your sump size option. Another flaw in my book.

Other than that these tanks are gorgeous!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank God!

And which bean counter that made the glass drill hole call, in the first place. Should be taken out back and shot, immediately. :D

Lol,
What a moronic decision...

Hey hey hey. Let's leave the bean counters out of this.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tuffyyyyy
Bruce Pearl was the greatest men's basketball coach that the Vols ever had. For some reason he felt like he had to cheat but he was so good that he didn't have to break the rules. I will never under stand why he felt the need to go down the wrong path but he is a human being like the rest of us. I'm happy that he is back coaching and the Vols loss is Auburn's gain and I wish that Bruce Pearl was still our men's coach.

Regards, GoVols

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if other companies will produce mounts that can fit with those holes.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if other companies will produce mounts that can fit with those holes.
They would only drill holes in the back glass if they were trying to push their own or their lighting contracts onto the consumer. :)
If you notice they made a bean counter move and now they've paid the price for it and the last I heard they have stopped drilling because it made so many customers upset. They don't want the Hydra's and if it is drilled and plugged you can't make it look like Broadfield's back glass. :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back