OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs (powder blue/clown) you had must have been wild caught. The coral beauty/gobies/clownfish and maybe others could have certainly been CB.
Hmm maybe a parasite? I have a sand sifter star that seems to be doing great so he has to be feeding on something like that.

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish should all be quarantined - but given the rapidity and the effect on corals, this was not a disease or parasite.
Depending on how much surface agitation changed, low oxygen is a possibility.
I’m confused on this as well, because I returned the oxygenation back to the normal rate and fish kept dying. They were maybe stressed from the loss of oxygen for that time period?

OP
OP
M

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s crazy how one small change can have such a massive effect…

is it possible low oxygen first night then starfish poisoned the water? How are your corals doing now?
That’s the chain reaction I’m assuming happened. My zoas are closed again but not as closed as before, but my Duncan is completely sunken in and the base looks bleached. One of my acans also seems to be bleaching as well.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any pictures of your tank but I would add some instant bacteria and also run Poly Filter and maybe carbon. BRS and your LFS should sell the Poly Filter. Could someone have put something in your tank? Run an airstone too.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, you need to quarantine all fish that aren't already pre-quarantined by a reputable facility. Aquacultured fish can still encounter disease on their way through the supply chain, and not every captive-breeding facility can be 100% disease-free.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Im sorry to hear about all this fish loss it sucks and discouraging most of us have been there I’ve been there leave your tank be don’t add any fish for a few months do your water changes do one fish observe for 2 months to check for illness just remember your not alone people are here to help saltwater is all about patience

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to hear about all this fish loss it sucks and discouraging most of us have been there I’ve been there leave your tank be don’t add any fish for a few months do your water changes do one fish observe for 2 months to check for illness just remember your not alone people are here to help saltwater is all about patience
Patience and cash :grimacing-face:

But on a serious note, +1 to @Stephen8169301

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol also need a couple weeks explaining to the wife why I need the fish or coral
My girlfriend said no more spending on the aquarium this month cause moneys tight so I need to figure out how to convince her to let me get in on this…

Don’t have any coral yet and want to get a nice Acan or something similar to start. Hoping to get one at a good price soon

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused on this as well, because I returned the oxygenation back to the normal rate and fish kept dying. They were maybe stressed from the loss of oxygen for that time period?

Although a bit of a reach, here is a scenario: reducing the flow, if your tank does not have a skimmer on it, could result in low oxygen levels. That might have caused the first fish losses. Then, adding aeration at the intake of pumps can cause gas supersaturation, and that could have taken out the remaining fish. That doesn't account for the corals though - perhaps they are reacting to something given off by the dying linkia?

jay

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although a bit of a reach, here is a scenario: reducing the flow, if your tank does not have a skimmer on it, could result in low oxygen levels. That might have caused the first fish losses. Then, adding aeration at the intake of pumps can cause gas supersaturation, and that could have taken out the remaining fish. That doesn't account for the corals though - perhaps they are reacting to something given off by the dying linkia?

jay
How common/prevalent is supersaturation? Just very curious. Is it like water boarding the fish? There is some water but so much dissolved air it can’t breathe properly?

Also, at what point should one be concerned about supersaturation?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has a sump so there should be no O2 issue. If the OP has a Bean Animal drain to the sump, it may not help oxygenated the water as much as some other drain.
IMO, I don’t think we have a full picture of the situation. Sometime is missing in the story.
what shape is the tank? If it is a cube tank then it is, IMO, the stress that kill some of the fish. This may set up a cascade that cause problem for everything else.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back