All of my fishes are getting velvet

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago for some unknown reason my sailfin tang caught velvet and now my yellow tang and kole tang have it, 75 gallon tank how do i treat it? I got other community fishes in there who havent gotten it yet

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what do i do? I have corals in there too

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U gotta quarantine with copper. NOW. This is my first quarantine too so I won’t give you any advice. I’d just start getting it ready while you wait on replies. What I can tell u for sure is get copper power instead of seachem cupramine if you can

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish has a great write-up:

A freshwater dip will provide temporary relief and buy you a day maybe, but you need to treat ASAP. Velvet is a fast killer.

EDIT: it sounds like you don't have a spare tank for QT? If you can't afford to buy a second tank (you need to go fallow and treat ALL of your fish, even the ones not yet showing symptoms), get some buckets at Home Depot and hook air stones & tubing up to a 4-way airline valve. Don't transfer rock, sand, or water. Using these buckets, you could also do the tank-transfer method (which would simultaneously address water changes).

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're up a creek without a paddle my man. They all need to be removed and treated, while your display runs fallow for ~80 days to kill the life cycle of velvet.

No good options if you don't have a hospital tank going and cycled.

Realistically, you will spend a lot of money setting up a hospital tank that isn't cycled, copper, tests, other meds. Then you will have to throw in all your fish (huge bioload), and the ones that aren't already too far gone from the velvet will probably die from ammonia and stress.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would post some pictures of your fish. Get some of the R2R experts to weigh in. Ich and velvet can appear similar. With ich, you usually have some time to treat.

Catching the fish for QT treatment is usually the hard part.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're up a creek without a paddle my man. They all need to be removed and treated, while your display runs fallow for ~80 days to kill the life cycle of velvet.

No good options if you don't have a hospital tank going and cycled.

Realistically, you will spend a lot of money setting up a hospital tank that isn't cycled, copper, tests, other meds. Then you will have to throw in all your fish (huge bioload), and the ones that aren't already too far gone from the velvet will probably die from ammonia and stress.
With respect, I certainly think a hospital tank can be set up quickly and cheaply. Use totes. Use a garbage can! Just throw in a powerhead and a heater, and you're good to go. Yes, you do need a source of copper, a high-range checker, and a seachem badge, but the setup doesn't need to be cycled before you use it. And you can use AmGuard and/or Prime to deal with ammonia spikes if water changes aren't immediately possible.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect, I certainly think a hospital tank can be set up quickly and cheaply. Use totes. Use a garbage can! Just throw in a powerhead and a heater, and you're good to go. Yes, you do need a source of copper, a high-range checker, and a seachem badge, but the setup doesn't need to be cycled before you use it. And you can use AmGuard and/or Prime to deal with ammonia spikes if water changes aren't immediathose products cause copper to be toxic. I’d just keep a huge supply of saltwater in hand and throw in a sponge
With respect, I certainly think a hospital tank can be set up quickly and cheaply. Use totes. Use a garbage can! Just throw in a powerhead and a heater, and you're good to go. Yes, you do need a source of copper, a high-range checker, and a seachem badge, but the setup doesn't need to be cycled before you use it. And you can use AmGuard and/or Prime to deal with ammonia spikes if water changes aren't immediately possible.
Everything I’ve read said Those products cause copper to be toxic and the fish suffocate.

hopefully you have sponge filter saved in your display tank like I did. Just put it in the qt tank filter and instant cycle pretty much. Or maybe break off a piece of rock and toss it in there

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I’ve read said Those products cause copper to be toxic and the fish suffocate.
That's not my experience, although I do use water treatments in quarantine only rarely. I didn't notice an adverse reaction to AmGuard at 2.03 (water change two days later), and tried 2 ml of Prime this morning at 2.04. I dose with Copper Power.

I do agree that excellent aeration and waterflow is key in quarantine/treatment.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not my experience, although I do use water treatments in quarantine only rarely. I didn't notice an adverse reaction to AmGuard at 2.03 (water change two days later), and tried 2 ml of Prime this morning at 2.04. I dose with Copper Power.

I do agree that excellent aeration and waterflow is key in quarantine/treatment.
Chelated copper is fine to use with prime. Ionic copper is NOT.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't he use some tank water for his QT? It's going to be treated an yway. Also, could toss in a live rock or 2. You just can never put that rock in your display. Ever again due to the copper. Those 2 steps would help.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay im getting copper sulfate, i got a cycled 20 gallon and will use my 110 gallon power filter with a sponge in it... can I use a protein skimmer? Or will that suck up and get rid of the copper sulfate? I also have cycled aragonite sand in it, should i dump that sand in my 75 g display tank? Or in the garbage? Also dont the cells live in the water? Or inside the fish? Therefore I dont get it, take out the fishes and put em in qt tank for 5 weeks , what do i do with the 75? Leave it fishless with no copper treatment? If i have to put copper in it wouldnt it kill my corals? And live rock?, can corals survive copper sulfate? In short words "all i have to do" is qt all fishes leave the fishless 75 as it is for weeks with the zoas, sps, etc.? And my BIGGEST QUESTION IS... how th am i supposed to have good beneficial bacteria in my 20 if i keep dumping copper in it? Wouldnt that kill all beneficial bacteria? Can zoanthids catch velvet? ... what should i do with my 8" serpent starfish? It cant tolerate copper but if i leave it in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead the velvet may not go away since i cant use copper in that container, and if i leave it in my fishless 75 wouldnt it be a host for the velvet? What do i do with him? Please answer all of my questions each by each.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay im getting copper sulfate, i got a cycled 20 gallon and will use my 110 gallon power filter with a sponge in it... can I use a protein skimmer? Or will that suck up and get rid of the copper sulfate? I also have cycled aragonite sand in it, should i dump that sand in my 75 g display tank? Or in the garbage? Also dont the cells live in the water? Or inside the fish? Therefore I dont get it, take out the fishes and put em in qt tank for 5 weeks , what do i do with the 75? Leave it fishless with no copper treatment? If i have to put copper in it wouldnt it kill my corals? And live rock?, can corals survive copper sulfate? In short words "all i have to do" is qt all fishes leave the fishless 75 as it is for weeks with the zoas, sps, etc.? And my BIGGEST QUESTION IS... how th am i supposed to have good beneficial bacteria in my 20 if i keep dumping copper in it? Wouldnt that kill all beneficial bacteria? Can zoanthids catch velvet? ... what should i do with my 8" serpent starfish? It cant tolerate copper but if i leave it in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead the velvet may not go away since i cant use copper in that container, and if i leave it in my fishless 75 wouldnt it be a host for the velvet? What do i do with him? Please answer all of my questions each by each.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your inverts and coral you leave in display tank. They can’t be infected but they can carry it. Leave tank fishless for 6-8 weeks and the parasite will starve

Last edited:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back