7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone chime in on this?.... will velvet reproduce on a dead host?, thanks
They feed on the live fish.
The divided after falling off.
Your fish less day count of 60 days (velvet) and 72 (ick) don’t start until ALL live fish are gone from the DT.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see... will one of those small fish traps work for my damsels and gobies? If so... is this all I gotta do to start the treatment process? Thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two things
a) all fish have to come out of DT, start your 72-76 day count if you have ick, 60-65 day count for velvet. Feed DT very lightly just to maintain normal nutrients level.

b) treat by copper (unless you know it’s ick, then hypo or TTM will work also. Maintain copper at recommended level, no more, no less, in a QT tank with some water movement, heat, dim light and maintain ammonia levels by changing out 10% water every day and vacuuming out uneaten food and waste.
Treat for 14 days beyond the last spot seen and appetite is vigorous. Hold until DT is past fallow period and return clean fish.

ick and velvet can appear similar.
If you can count the spots, and those spots are irregular in shape, that’s ick, and is a very slow killer. Velvet kills in 24-36 hours and looks more like someone threw some flour on the fish, may look goldish, dots are circular.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... so this is all I gotta do right? My hoevens wrasse keeps picking the dots off my tangs thinking its cleaning them!, can i provide a coffee cup with gravel so the wrasse can go in and sleep? Or does it have to be sand?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... I accidentally took the 110 aqua power filter with the dt water in it and placed it in the 35 gallon qt container will it be fine? I assume so since copper sulfate kills all velvet cells? Thx

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... I accidentally took the 110 aqua power filter with the dt water in it and placed it in the 35 gallon qt container will it be fine? I assume so since copper sulfate kills all velvet cells? Thx

Correct the fish carried whatever it is in with them, so you don’t need to worry that the power filter is introducing something not already there. Now, after your copper treatment is done, then you really need to be disciplined about cross contamination

Back