All or nothing mentality for quarantine?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 300 gallons cycled and stable. I have a UV sterilizer rated for 600 gallon tanks.

I added a few fish a few weeks ago (no quarantine) and today I ordered 3 tangs from live aquaria (not divers den).

I purchased intending not to quarantine, but I made some research and decided I should quarantine at least for the fish’s stress reduction. That will increase probability of them staying alive.

Anyway, I set the quarantine tank the night before they were delivered and when I received the fish I added them to the tank.

long story short: They were laying on the floor and NOT doing well. Maybe ammonia? I added prime a day before. Maybe the tank wasn’t oxygenated properly? Maybe the PH was off? I don’t know because I didn’t test anything.

I immediately added the dying fish to my main tank, because this cycling tank would kill them off faster than the ich or whatever parasite they may carry.

The new tangs are doing very well! Eating seaweed and the Rods food. Swimming around. They look much happier.

I have a full quarantine system that I went out and bought. I really like the idea of quarantining fish. Providing them with the stress free environment while monitoring their food intake sounds like such a great idea. I can also inspect if they have any parasites.

I plan to properly cycle this tank because I’m going to add more fish to my main display in a month from now.

Am I dumb for quarantining new fish starting now? My tank for sure has ich, even though I haven’t seen any on the fish that have been previously in the tank for a month prior.

I probably won’t quarantine corals or inverts...too long for me.

In the very least, quarantining can at least give them the dead fishes body so I can get a return from live aquaria. I know it’s probably awful to think of fish like that, but in the big tank fish would just disappear without evidence. Especially in my previous wall-style rockwork.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old do or dont.
You just have to weight the pros and cons and acess the risk you want to take.
For me I have a lot of money in fish that I really dont want to risk having to replace. Angels tangs ect....
I always use the TTM for new fish. While not fail safe it does allow me some piece of mind

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, according to Elliot Lim of MarineCollectors, the TTM is effective of done perfectly, but you'd have to be religious and not miss a single step. IMO, one would need 2 QT tanks set up to treat a single or multiple fish, conduct 100% water changes every 3 days for 12 days, let one of the tanks air dry and have pre-medicated water added to the tank that was set to dry ready to go. It's not as easy as you'd think, but it is very doable.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, according to Elliot Lim of MarineCollectors, the TTM is effective of done perfectly, but you'd have to be religious and not miss a single step. IMO, one would need 2 QT tanks set up to treat a single or multiple fish, conduct 100% water changes every 3 days for 12 days, let one of the tanks air dry and have pre-medicated water added to the tank that was set to dry ready to go. It's not as easy as you'd think, but it is very doable.
Remember though, TTM only treats for Cryptocaryon/Ich. It helps with some other diseases, but doesn't eliminate them. The modified TTM helps with a few more diseases, but copper/prazi takes care of everything you are likely to see except Brooklynella.

Jay

Alex’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember though, TTM only treats for Cryptocaryon/Ich. It helps with some other diseases, but doesn't eliminate them. The modified TTM helps with a few more diseases, but copper/prazi takes care of everything you are likely to see except Brooklynella.

Jay
Yes of course, I forgot to mention you still need to treat for the other possible parasites and diseases too, thanks for covering that Jay.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back