All Rhizotrochus are illegally collected and imported

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Rhizotrochus are illegally collected and imported | Reef Builders -The Reef Aquarium Blog

Might not want to post pics of those illegal corals.
The Lacey Act makes prohibits trade in wildlife, fish, and plants that have been illegally taken, possessed, transported or sold. Thus, the Act underscores other federal, state, and foreign laws protecting wildlife by making it a separate offense to take, possess, transport, or sell wildlife that has been taken in violation of those laws.

Sounds like a few people may be turning in people that have them.

No wonder they are so expensive.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need to, the point is they are coming in through standard wholesalers, that don't mean they are not still illeagal.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think the wholesalers know what they are doing? I rarely get properly identified corals from them.
My understanding before reading this article is they come in mis-identified... either purposefully or not.
All my wholesalers are on the U.S. Side, so they have already gotten the corals from their suppliers beforehand. So they probably don't even look up laws regarding a certain species... I mean some of my stock lists have well over 1000 coral species, that would be a huge lawyer tab to look all that up, and THEN all that money would push up our costs even more for the corals we love.
I garuntee you plenty of illegal corals are coming into the states and even into your LFS without anyone doing it purposefully or knowingly

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my point, it needs to be taken are of on the supply side. Not U.S. wholesalers but shippers and collectors. I for one wonder, if these people that collect them even know what they are or the species of corals that they collect. Wither some are illegal or not for collection. How many articles have there been about how poor and uneducated most of these people are and just collect corals to provide for a living. They collect and let those in the "know" sort it out....Either way it needs to be fixed as any illegal collection is a detriment to the hobby as a whole as those on the outside don't look or won't look at it as a specific issue. I never really wanted one even now....

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why copy and paste threads that other people started?

This is how things get out of hand and blown out of proportion dialy...

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back