All Time Most Favorite Sea Creature? This is mine!

Can you house your most favorite ocean creature in your home aquarium?

• Yes and I do!

Votes: 69 15.2%
  • Yes but I don't have one

Votes: 74 16.3%
  • Yes but it would be illegal

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • Yes but you would need a HUGE aquarium

Votes: 77 17.0%
  • No but I wish

Votes: 193 42.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 4.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I thought we could talk about our most favorite sea creatures! It could be a fish or something else that you could keep in your aquarium but for me it's a animal that has always intrigued me and one that can't be kept in a home aquarium. The Sea Turtle is my all time fave! Not sure why but they seem so stoic and wise and I love how they swim with the currents! Let's talk about it today!

What is your most favorite ocean creature? Include a image and/or some info about it and why it's your favorite!

Sea turtle swims the Maldives Indian Ocean coral reef.
bigstock-Sea-turtle-swims-under-water-o-267182512.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8Lrhhm4.jpg
My favourite would probably be sharks or turtles. My most beautiful/ fascinating, would be Red Feather Star. I've heard of a few with moderate success on other colours, but the feeding requirements would likely be way to intense for my particular wheelhouse. So I will watch from afar....

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orka.jpeg

My favorite ocean creature is an orca. I've seen many documentaries about them, and their intelligence is very interesting to me. I also think they are very beautiful animals. They obviously shouldn't be kept in captivity. I would love to spot them in the wild sometime though!

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea turtle swims the Maldives Indian Ocean coral reef.
Cool creatures, indeed...

There's one in the round reef tank at Shedd's that was boat struck long ago, can't use her rear legs, but swims 'round that big old tank like she's happy as can be.

Ya'll gonna think I'm heartless...

My favorite sea creature is pacific halibut... and I don't want them in my tank, but on my grill :D

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool creatures, indeed...

There's one in the round reef tank at Shedd's that was boat struck long ago, can't use her rear legs, but swims 'round that big old tank like she's happy as can be.

Ya'll gonna think I'm heartless...

My favorite sea creature is pacific halibut... and I don't want them in my tank, but on my grill :D

I noticed that you live in Missouri have you been to the Springfield aquarium?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that you live in Missouri have you been to the Springfield aquarium?
You mean Bass Pro's Wonders of Wildlife? Sure. First year they were open, they offered a family pass that came with two guest passes, so my wife and I could go any time, and take two friends along. We used the heck out of those passes, I was there at least twice a month, took a bunch of friends and family on the guest passes.

Next year, they wouldn't renew those passes. The new family pass doesn't get you any guest passes. I guess Johnny looked at receipts, and figured out how much those guest passes were costing him :D. One of my daughters works at Basecamp, Bass Pro's home office. Can't claim to be friends, but I've met Johnny Morris on several occasions.

Anyway, yes. Cool place. Some very neat stuff. One of my favorite exhibits there didn't last... well, it's still there, but not nearly as interesting as it was when they opened. The baitfish tank. You can see in the side, or from below. Big swarm of mackerel, shoaling tight... Unfortunately, some folks had a problem seeing the occasional predation, so they pulled the small sharks from the tank. No predators... no predator response. The shoals break up, very little movement, it's not nearly as interesting.

St. Louis has a small marine exhibit down at Union Station. It's nice, if not very large. The Halls built a place at Crown Center in KC, Sea Life, they call it. Also small, but nice. Branson built one on the boardwalk. I haven't visited that one yet. IMHO, Bass Pro's is the best in MO.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean Bass Pro's Wonders of Wildlife? Sure. First year they were open, they offered a family pass that came with two guest passes, so my wife and I could go any time, and take two friends along. We used the heck out of those passes, I was there at least twice a month, took a bunch of friends and family on the guest passes.

Next year, they wouldn't renew those passes. The new family pass doesn't get you any guest passes. I guess Johnny looked at receipts, and figured out how much those guest passes were costing him :D. One of my daughters works at Basecamp, Bass Pro's home office. Can't claim to be friends, but I've met Johnny Morris on several occasions.

Anyway, yes. Cool place. Some very neat stuff. One of my favorite exhibits there didn't last... well, it's still there, but not nearly as interesting as it was when they opened. The baitfish tank. You can see in the side, or from below. Big swarm of mackerel, shoaling tight... Unfortunately, some folks had a problem seeing the occasional predation, so they pulled the small sharks from the tank. No predators... no predator response. The shoals break up, very little movement, it's not nearly as interesting.

St. Louis has a small marine exhibit down at Union Station. It's nice, if not very large. The Halls built a place at Crown Center in KC, Sea Life, they call it. Also small, but nice. Branson built one on the boardwalk. I haven't visited that one yet. IMHO, Bass Pro's is the best in MO.
I grew up not far from St Louis. Nice city.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

are there any good fish store in the area? I'm in nwa and there are only 2 fish store and one them is fw only

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the One Fin Flashlight Fish (Photoblepharon Palpebratus). The reason I like these out of every other of the species is that from Reading his pieces and Talking to Jay Hemdal, they're the hardiest and best for display (despite being harder to find). Not as delicate as the more common Split Fin Flashlight Fish, and they have their "light" on for longer periods at a time rather than just "On Off" every time they move. And they're also one of the only deep sea oddball that you can house reasonably in the home aquarium!
Definitely the fish and setup I'm working up to, personal goal is to get the tank and filtration by the end of the year, and to start off 2022 with a group of blinking lights

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-083639_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-083639_Chrome.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 167

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back