All Time Most Favorite Sea Creature? This is mine!

Can you house your most favorite ocean creature in your home aquarium?

• Yes and I do!

Votes: 69 15.2%
  • Yes but I don't have one

Votes: 74 16.3%
  • Yes but it would be illegal

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • Yes but you would need a HUGE aquarium

Votes: 77 17.0%
  • No but I wish

Votes: 193 42.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 4.4%

• Total voters

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fave would be an octopus. I know I’ve seen them in tanks before, but they are also creative and escape artists. I would consider them not possible for many reasons.

Dolphins too. I love dolphins. I ran into a few groups in the Gulf. Time stops when I’m around dolphins.

aquaO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and I do its my Harlequin shrimp
Screenshot 2021-04-20 10.48.16 AM.png
Oh gosh I love those little guys!!! Is it easy to keep? Are they very active? I don’t have a tank yet but that is one thing I definitely want!

aquaO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite water born creature ....
submission moving GIF
My kids used to call them "Squishies".
Realistic tank inhabitants: LOVE Gem Tangs - do not own one yet but want to.
1618933814334.png

Mantis Shrimp - may happen down the road if I set up a macro tank.

Lion Fish - love to watch but I will never own.
life sciences fish GIF
Definitely agree with the mantis
My choice is any cuttlefish, and believe this one is a dwarf from Seattle Aquarium. It's not that I can't keep one, I just won't keep one because they live two years or less, and I just mentally could not take a creature only living that short of time.

Seattle Cuttlefish.jpg

Their personality and ability to change color and texture is just fascinating.
I truly agree!! My favorite is the flamboyant cuttlefish!! You would have to have a huge aquarium but it would be so fun!

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love cuttlefish specifically sepia officinalis. I can house one. The lifespan, thanks for food, & ship poorly are all deal breakers

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I have seen in Zoo aquariums but not in the home hobby that is probably my favorite is the leafy Sea Dragon
1618940649278.png
I was fortunate enough to encounter one of these guys while diving. One of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen.
eagle ray.jpg

Encountered an eagle ray while night diving. This guy really wanted to play. Wouldn't leave my dive buddy and me alone. Kept bumping up against us and wanted to be petted. I would never try to house one, but I sure wish I could.

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other and agree killer whale for me but not sure its legal. And obviously not budget friendly I can't afford to buy seals by the dozens.
Hahaha feeding and housing would definitely be very expensive. But blackfish learned me that killer whales should be left in the ocean. In the US they have killer whales in captivity I think, but those animals are visibly stressed and depressed. Killer whales are also one of the few animals who live way shorter in captivity than in the wild, while most animals live longer in captivity. So for me those animals just need to stay in the ocean.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fun one!
I do absolutely love clownfish, since I grew up watching Finding Nemo every 2 days XD
So I have clownfish, but if I truly could have anything, it would be something like 8 million gallons, so I could fit a humpback whale in it :) I also like sea turtles and seals.
1619009098127.png

oh and I love dolphins. my first kiss was a dolphin... :)

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get 2 groups of 1/2" hatchlings in my PA days, and they are probably still my favorite. Not practical to keep at home due to feeding costs with live mysids when small, and their very short lifespan. Sorry for the poor video quality, it's about 9 years old.

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orka.jpeg

My favorite ocean creature is an orca. I've seen many documentaries about them, and their intelligence is very interesting to me. I also think they are very beautiful animals. They obviously shouldn't be kept in captivity. I would love to spot them in the wild sometime though!
Head to Port Alert Bay BC or along the inland passage in British Columbia. Fabulous
orka.jpeg

My favorite ocean creature is an orca. I've seen many documentaries about them, and their intelligence is very interesting to me. I also think they are very beautiful animals. They obviously shouldn't be kept in captivity. I would love to spot them in the wild sometime though!

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get 2 groups of 1/2" hatchlings in my PA days, and they are probably still my favorite. Not practical to keep at home due to feeding costs with live mysids when small, and their very short lifespan. Sorry for the poor video quality, it's about 9 years old.

Wow! They are amazing. I got to see them in the wild in the Philippines and I will never forget it. Amazing!

Back