OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just about finished plumbing the first QT. Did my first wet test and glad to say there are no leaks! The UV is mounted and needs 2 bulkheads glued to be 100%.

On to the first major mistake I’ve made. The skimz sump is terrible if you want to flow more than 1000gph. I have the dcp15000 set to 35w and the sump barely keeps. I’ll need to modified the drain area to allow more flow by creating a bypass to the filter socks directly into the fuge area. I’ll also need to seal the drain area better. When starting the pump I get 4-6oz that splash out until the siphon begins. I would like to get the flow capacity closer to 1500-2000gph and be able to run 1 gyre on the opposite side of the tank on the bottom. The water pressure with 2x 3/4 return lines makes it about 2/3 across the tank as is.

FBEFB027-F345-4D2D-ACC9-8A59923958F7.jpeg

7DA2B95E-1B54-4EA2-BB9C-C1D146EFB61A.jpeg

4487C8C5-D491-4CB7-86A2-3C59A1777BCD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure glad I ordered one of these. It helped me realize that my reflectors are too large for high light sps. At 6” height off the water with all the lights on I’m getting about 1/2 degree increase in temp after 8 hours. At this height I’m getting about 200 par covering 80% of the tank. The very edges drop to about 150. Cut those numbers in half with 250w bulbs.

200 par is plenty for most sps, but some of them hit their sweet spot around 350-450.

The two best options I’ve thought of so far is swapping a couple tanks to 1000w bulbs to keep equal disputation. I don’t believe I’ll have enough power to go that route.

The next option is changing the reflectors which may require adding a 3rd 400w fixture in the future for more coverage.

Something else I learned from my testing having never used a par meter. 400watt radians our out 15-20% more par than Ushio 20k bulbs. I see why guys love them so much.

86B62FA5-5851-430F-97FB-8FEF94618735.jpeg

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these reflector a while back. They would be better if they didn't have the dimples in them and a polished finish . They do a good job of spreading the light over the tank. If you aren't happy with the par pm me and I can lead you to some horticulture bulbs I was trying. Best of luck .

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good espresso, but haven't made the leap into becoming a barista.

I’ve been wanting one for a few years, but never had the room. I hope to save a few bucks and make better drinks than my local Starbucks.

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these reflector a while back. They would be better if they didn't have the dimples in them and a polished finish . They do a good job of spreading the light over the tank. If you aren't happy with the par pm me and I can lead you to some horticulture bulbs I was trying. Best of luck .

I would appreciate you sending me any info you have! Tonight I’m going to do some digging and see if I can find one to increase the par to cover at least 1/2 the tank pretty well without having to add more wattage.

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would appreciate you sending me any info you have! Tonight I’m going to do some digging and see if I can find one to increase the par to cover at least 1/2 the tank pretty well without having to add more wattage.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back