Almost 3 months in and no ugly phase, did I luck out?

TampaSmitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals I run 60% blue and 15% white at peak for 8 hours. There's a 2 hour buildup and 2 hour ramp down.
I only have the stock light on the tank, no control over %. It’s either the white setting or all blue. How should I run it until I replace the light?

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that with dry rock the uglies come later. I have always used cured rock in the past but my current reef I used 90% dry rock and the uglies came about 3-6 months later.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My uglies started coming in at the 3 month mark, I'm still dealing with them but they are struggling to take a foothold. The difference with your tank versus mine is you have way more coral real estate in regards to volume, so I think that may be aiding in keeping the algae at bay. I only have a few small frags so algae is loving all the empty dry rock space!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock from carib sea. From most of the things I've seen by this point dry rock tanks have got a good amount of uglies going on.

It isn't true that all tanks with dry rock go through an ugly phase. So it looks like you did things right :)

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in same boat at 3 months with dry rock so I went on a fish and coral buying spree. Then BOOM! dinoflagellates next level. Then cyano next level. The red turf algae. It was horrible. Hope it's not the same for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back