(Almost) Everything You Need to Know About Apex Salinity Calibration and TC Factor

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, the Same Module is a myth?

Well, I change my R-pH to my Base Unit and Revert my CRx_pH to PM1.

But TC on Base Probe & PM1 Probe is connected.
Because when I turned TC of R-pH, my PM1 probe is automatically Enabled TC on its own. If I Disabled TC on PM1, the TC on Base Unit probe is also disable TC. So they actually linked.

But how does one calibrate Tmp?
Not a myth. Anything connected to the base unit will use the base unit temp for compensation, PM modules use their own temp probe for compensation. If you don't have a temp probe connected to the PM module, do not enable temp compensation.

I have multiple PM1 and PM2 modules in my tanks and some of them have TC enabled and some don't. They are not linked.

The best way to calibrate temp probes is to get a NIST traceable thermometer (I use the $30 Cole palmer stick pen) and then calibrate all your temp probes (and heaters if they can) to match the traceable thermometer.

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that this product is amazing too and fixed all my issues.
C3D9DA60-77E7-4B14-A662-2D6F1BCEC77D.jpeg
Thank you.

Quite expensive for 3D Print.
But alreayd ordered one. Let's see how it goes.

But I also notice that Neptune have a $200 Salt Probe.
Any feedback on that?

Also... how often do you calibrate your probe?
And how often do you change them?

I notice some say, to change about 10month, some say a couple years....
Any actual feedback on this?

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a myth. Anything connected to the base unit will use the base unit temp for compensation, PM modules use their own temp probe for compensation. If you don't have a temp probe connected to the PM module, do not enable temp compensation.

I have multiple PM1 and PM2 modules in my tanks and some of them have TC enabled and some don't. They are not linked.

The best way to calibrate temp probes is to get a NIST traceable thermometer (I use the $30 Cole palmer stick pen) and then calibrate all your temp probes (and heaters if they can) to match the traceable thermometer.
I only have 1 temp in Based.
And PM1 doesn't have tmp.

But whenever I turned on TC on Base Probe, TC of Probe in PM1 automatically turned on as well.
If I turned of TC in PM1, the TC in Base Probe is OFF too. So yes, they link.
Or in my case, they do.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you.

Any feedback on that?

I haven’t calibrated mine in a while but most do about once a month. And I would say no lol $200 is a lot on something they are poorly known for. If you take care of it and it reads correctly you shouldn’t have to replace it unless something breaks or is wrong. And it’s expensive because they were one of the first companies to release these and it’s still a fairly new product.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Any feedback on that?

The product in the picture above attaches to the Apex $200 salt probe to make the reading steady

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t calibrated mine in a while but most do about once a month. And I would say no lol $200 is a lot on something they are poorly known for. If you take care of it and it reads correctly you shouldn’t have to replace it unless something breaks or is wrong. And it’s expensive because they were one of the first companies to release these and it’s still a fairly new product.
Are you talking about the VCA or Neptune Probe?

On VCA, it's basically just plastic with 3D print. You can easily get that done with $5-$10.
I don't mind the $27, but me to order from USA, it's costing me $50 for this little piece of plastic.
Now, if it were Factory Made with Molding, or made from Acrylic Molding... I won't mind paying $50 since it's a One-time purchase. Either way, I already order 1pcs. Let's hope the actual product is better quality than the one I saw in YT.

Yes, I thought Neptune Probe was quite expensive too.
$200 and having to change every 18mth according to their description, seems quite alot.
I am not sure about Stability of Salinity but I've been keep Reef for 8yrs successfully, just without the convenient of these Innovation Products. And seeing the swing in digital number, just bug me in way that Reefing never did for last 10yrs.

But I gotta say... this innovation product, keeping me restless even more. Everytime my Apex alert me, it's cause a pounding in my heart. Everytime I saw parameter of Trident is OFF, it's bugging me so bad. Because back then, I test once a week, and nothing went out of range because I got good at guessing on what I need and how much I need to dose per week and usually, the parameters became acceptable for me.

But with Trident + DOS... The control interval didn't really work out for me because Parameters swing harder than Miley Cyrus on a wrecking ball. Maybe beacuse the tank is new and noting settle yet... Calcium Reactor+Trident+DOS is just making me insane with their fluctuation.

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you talking about the VCA or Neptune Probe?

On VCA, it's basically just plastic with 3D print. You can easily get that done with $5-$10.
I don't mind the $27, but me to order from USA, it's costing me $50 for this little piece of plastic.
Now, if it were Factory Made with Molding, or made from Acrylic Molding... I won't mind paying $50 since it's a One-time purchase. Either way, I already order 1pcs. Let's hope the actual product is better quality than the one I saw in YT.

Yes, I thought Neptune Probe was quite expensive too.
$200 and having to change every 18mth according to their description, seems quite alot.
I am not sure about Stability of Salinity but I've been keep Reef for 8yrs successfully, just without the convenient of these Innovation Products. And seeing the swing in digital number, just bug me in way that Reefing never did for last 10yrs.

But I gotta say... this innovation product, keeping me restless even more. Everytime my Apex alert me, it's cause a pounding in my heart. Everytime I saw parameter of Trident is OFF, it's bugging me so bad. Because back then, I test once a week, and nothing went out of range because I got good at guessing on what I need and how much I need to dose per week and usually, the parameters became acceptable for me.

But with Trident + DOS... The control interval didn't really work out for me because Parameters swing harder than Miley Cyrus on a wrecking ball. Maybe beacuse the tank is new and noting settle yet... Calcium Reactor+Trident+DOS is just making me insane with their fluctuation.
I’m talking about the Neptune probe and the salinity probe stabilizer is a must! Absolutely worth the cost.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the accuracy of the Trident (and similar accuracy also applies to most hobby grade test kits) is
  • Alkalinity: +/- 0.05 dKH
  • Calcium: +/- 15 ppm
  • Magnesium: +/- 15 ppm
Swings within that range are expected and you need to focus more on trends and average than trying to chase an exact number on a single test.

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking about the Neptune probe and the salinity probe stabilizer is a must! Absolutely worth the cost.
Oh, you were talking about Neptune Probe.

When you mention about how they were the first to made it and that it being fairely new, I thought you were talking about VCA because Salinity Meter was made by American Pin Point sometime ago, like 5-6yrs ago. So Neptune isn't the first and it's definitely not new.

Ok, let's see how my probe react once the stabilizer arrived. Thank you.

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the accuracy of the Trident (and similar accuracy also applies to most hobby grade test kits) is
  • Alkalinity: +/- 0.05 dKH
  • Calcium: +/- 15 ppm
  • Magnesium: +/- 15 ppm
Swings within that range are expected and you need to focus more on trends and average than trying to chase an exact number on a single test.
I know this.

But the problem is... KH swing almost 2-5ppm, not 0.05.
My KH is complete unstable and reading is between 8.2 to 8.6dKH randomly through the day.
But yes, if the test is Repeating within a few minute, the reading doesn't swing much.
However... it would swing between 8.2 in the morning and somewhere between 8.6 in the evening.

I am thinking that interval of Doser & Calcium Reactor hasn't found a balance yet.

I control my CRx via potency of CO2, basically the injection pump isn't decrease or increasing on its own.
It run at 35ml/min by Kamoer Pump. However, Apex will shut off CO2 solenoid base on reading of pH in CRx Reactor.
And Outlet for CO2 has been control by Trident Reading too, if Ca, KH & Mg reach a certain point, CO2 will shut off completely which reduce potency of CRx. And Parameter is stabilized by Dosers with Addictives from Brightwell, Calcion, Magnesion & Alkalinity 8.3.

So far, it hasn't found a perfect balance. I guess.

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo_2022-07-19_20-15-04.jpg

The high point is before Trident Calibrated.

As you see, this morning it's 7.91 while yesterday it's 8.53

But i don't think issue is with Trident as I recalibrated many time, and even do a test on Calibration Solutions.
And Ca & Mg is fairly stable. About 5ppm in changes.

But KH is just insane.

Update: Now it's 8.22

Last edited:

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I calibrate my apex, I check my tank water with a refractometer to make sure it’s at 35 and then use my tank water as the reference for the apex calibration. If I use the trident reference solution my salinity jumps from the reference 35 to 37 after calibration.

I know my refractometer is accurate as I’ve tested it against 2 standardised 34.5ppm solutions and it’s bang on.

litebulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm trying to set the TC and when I try to save at any number I get an error "Method not allowed" any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm trying to set the TC and when I try to save at any number I get an error "Method not allowed" any hints on what I'm doing wrong?
Could you provide some screenshots of your process up to the error?

litebulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay scratch that it just wanted temp up to a higher temp after being a bit low. Any idea how long after updating the tc setting it takes for the readings to change? I’m showing basically double what it really is after verifying with LFS yesterday

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay scratch that it just wanted temp up to a higher temp after being a bit low. Any idea how long after updating the tc setting it takes for the readings to change? I’m showing basically double what it really is after verifying with LFS yesterday
Like 30 seconds

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great guide!
I followed it thoroughly with my new (and first) salinity probe, yet these are the results after a week :(
From 37 ppt down to 30.6. My real salinity is stable at 35.

Very disappointing, and not sure what to do..?

1674136014428.png

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the instructions and mine fluctuate around .1 to.5 assuming evaporation, auto top off variance, feeding ect. Pretty steady.

4ED5E893-70D6-494B-B77C-A90074D49618.jpeg

Now that my ATO reservoir is out of commission it fluctuates more since I’m only doing topoff in the morning and afternoon.
1AF68C6B-C606-4C89-82EF-1881A4F5C413.jpeg

CED99BD0-1640-44F1-A348-C7E2B97ED141.jpeg

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, and came close to taking a hammer to it. I kept trying different locations in the sump, and found a spot where it's been happy for the last five months. I don't know what it is about that spot so I can't offer any advice, other than suggest you try the same.

Edit: supposed to be a reply to Dvir.

Back