alot of fish dead this morning? @^&&$$@$^%^$%5

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woke up to my blue jaw trigger 5", diamondback goby 4", and my fugi fox face 6" all dead, with my 1year old emperor angel, my black spotted wrasse laying on their sides struggling to breathe the week before that I found my coral beauty, 3 Chromis, and my other wrasse all dead together. I did large water then as well, for a grand total of 2-60 gallon changes in two weeks on a 150g setup. the only unharmed fish this morning was one Chromis, my very first fish the blue damsel, and my black sailfin tang. and my two small clowns.I did a large water change again and the wrasse seemed to come back to life and darted into the rocks. but my questions are,

if this was chemical-based, like a stuck dosing pump why would there be survivers? because i checked my records my iodine bottle was empty this morning and I just filled it two weeks ago with 500 MiL. set to dose 2 ml daily.

secondly, I have long wondered if my black sailfin 6" was a serial killer, I have added much fish after him and they all ended up dead except for those that came before him. so did he go psycho during the night?
do they go psycho? when I pulled out my fox face he had several large white patches like missing scales on him and my emperor has them two. were they attached. if a fish dies from chems they should not lose large patches of scale, should they?

this really sucks, but hey the corals look fine. I'm probably going to go to a fish only tank because I have had too many close calls with dosing, I'm DEFINITELY THROWING MY DOSING PUMP IN THE trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no to velvet, i know what that looks like for sure.

sorry, i have a 150 g not 1500 g but yes 500 ml is a lot either way.
AND THE 500 ML of iodine happen over night last night not over a 2 day period

it's a cheap-butt jebAo but my other/ first jebao pump that doses my CA, ALK, MG, AND DIY NOPOX is strong no problems ever. I remember being warned about those pumps but also remember alot of success from other reefers using them, not me NO MORE
I'm going to go back to Manuel dosing and WC'S ONLY. its to risky automation is great but not worth the cost.

since the wc this morning my only remaining wrasse is swimming around now as nothing happened, and my emperor is swimming around in short bursts before resting on the rocks and has started grunting a small bit. that is a positive. it had to be a chem od of iodine (seachem brand}

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no to velvet, i know what that looks like for sure.

sorry, i have a 150 g not 1500 g but yes 500 ml is a lot either way.
AND THE 500 ML of iodine happen over night last night not over a 2 day period

it's a cheap-butt jebAo but my other/ first jebao pump that doses my CA, ALK, MG, AND DIY NOPOX is strong no problems ever. I remember being warned about those pumps but also remember alot of success from other reefers using them, not me NO MORE
I'm going to go back to Manuel dosing and WC'S ONLY. its to risky automation is great but not worth the cost.

since the wc this morning my only remaining wrasse is swimming around now as nothing happened, and my emperor is swimming around in short bursts before resting on the rocks and has started grunting a small bit. that is a positive. it had to be a chem od of iodine (seachem brand}
I guess it depends on what kind of iodine contraction you were using. I use triton iodine on 1400 gallon system recommended daily dosage is 10ml ...
500ml just an insane amount to me

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is something that really does not need dosed. Some people dose small amounts to some benefit. And it's definitely not something that needs automated with dosing pumps for all the more it is consumed it tanks. I would only dose the most basic things like alk and cal and maybe magnesium. That much iodine in that tank, for sure imo is what killed your fish. I am amazed you don't have a bunch of dead inverts as well.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's just it...all inverts are fine.
and yes everything should be dead that's why i wondering about the sailfin going all Michael Myers during the night. not once but twice now..
my dose was set at 2 mls once a day and I refilled my 500 ml bottle on 10-1-20 and this morning 7 days later it was empty.

yes my pump and liq is sitting above my sump on a shelve as it has been for a long time.
iodine is not normally considered a fish killer this is also why I'm confused. I have a lot of leathers so I chose to dose iodine. I can live without it going forward.-

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's just it...all inverts are fine.
and yes everything should be dead that's why i wondering about the sailfin going all Michael Myers during the night. not once but twice now.
yes my pump and liq is sitting above my sump on a shelve as it has been for a long time.
iodine is not normally considered a fish killer this is also why I'm confused. I have a lot of leathers so I chose to dose iodine. I can live without it going forward.

Well tangs when they get stressed do become very aggressive, so that makes complete sense. And it's not considered a fish killer when dosed in appropriate amounts. You had a accident that put a ton of it in there.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this hobby can destroy people at times. Tangs can be serial killers. After deciding to go fish only I was given many corals and fish from my uncle and many corals died. I now have a very overstocked tank and some ich problems. I think everything is easier fish only. Even then whenever I lose fish in freshwater or saltwater I tend to lose them in streaks close together.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not good and sorry to hear.
Manual dosing would be an option putting Yourself in control. As for fish. . . . . . . .
What is age of tank ?
Are you using RO water or tap water from the faucet?
Do you know current ammonia and nitrate levels?
Salinity
Temperature?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean idk what happens when you put 500mL of iodine in a tank quickly, but that doesn't account for the large fish loss a week ago? did something happen a week ago?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean idk what happens when you put 500mL of iodine in a tank quickly, but that doesn't account for the large fish loss a week ago? did something happen a week ago?

Yes it does because he filled the iodine doser 2 weeks ago, and it dumped a TON in during the 2 weeks. Some fish just tolerated it longer then others.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to try and answer you all. thanks so much yall.

Update another dead fish the last Chromis I had was found dead this morning, but my large emperor angel is well an back to normal. so now i have 4 left in my 150.

1. I have taken the pump and filled all bottles with water so I am going to monitor what i believe I already suspect.

2. my tank is almost two years old, i do use rodi (5 stages) for WC's and top off, AMO -0, NO3-10-20, NO2 .05, PHOS - 0, TEMP 78.9, ORP 410, PH 8.2, SAL .025, CA-500, ALK 10, MG 1380, STRON -16-20, IODINE .09 (high) I use read sea kits. I'm taking a sample to the lfs today as a double-check.

3. im so pondering FOWLER. LOL but I going to go back to manual dosing. I mean my emperor and sailfin only is worth about 800 bucks. that would have been bad cause we had them since they were the size of a quarter.

4. last month when I did my month 60g water change. the tank never looked right afterward, and I kept telling my wife it looked off, but water testing said otherwise, my first round of fish lose were found in the bottom of my overflows, which seemed odd because how did they get there? they had to jump in, why do fish jump? they're chased or bullied right ? and why were they dead? because i have corner tank overflows so why would they not just be swimming around in there trapped.? I wondered about my dosing pump but forgot to log the last time I changed the bottles months prior that is the reason i logged this dosing change.

5. well maybe the iodine was the killer, but i still find it odd that the night before I posted this thread everyone was fine. and the next morning, all dead, and two on the way out, with on large tang swimming around like nothing is wrong. so the fact that they all were different sizes and they all died at the exact same time makes me think the iodine od happen that night and not overtime, but I'm just guessing. I mean why was the tang, one Chromis, the blue damsel, and my two small clowns an all inverts unharmed?

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, just having read hundreds of posts over the years: a sudden fish wipe out with no coral issues, that sounds like a fish disease. I know you say it's not velvet. But occam's razor says you test the most likely theories first.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back