Alright I’m stumped...brute trash can cycle.

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here goes...over a month ago now I started a cycle on some dry rock purchased at local reef shop. It’s the same stuff that brs sells as their reef saver rock. I bought ammonia from dr Tim’s and a small bottle of fritz turbo start. Started dosing ammonia the bottle said 4 drops per gallon but the label was wrong as I added abt 8 drops to get to 2ppm. I monitored and tested and abt three weeks later I tested zero ammonia and zero nitrites. Dosed to 2 ppm and it cleared in 24 hours I continued ammonia (not the full dose just a couple drops every couple days) and also a small pinch of food Every once in awhile... so just ghost feeding. Then after an ammonia test a week later I noticed my ammonia level was .25 to 1ppm I stopped feeding expecting it to go down over the last few days. Nothing....what happened? I was planning to use this rock next weekend for my tank switch/upgrade and I was on track for success...
Misc details.
Brute trash can
Power head
Heater
Rodi with Red Sea blue bucket
Nitrate level is 5 or less.
No detectable nitrites
Container is covered but slightly open I open it once every couple days to add top off water and feed it...Is air the problem?
This is not my first tank or my first cycle I followed the steps to success even had slight success.
Nothing has been dumped in without my knowledge container is kept in a room with no access for my daughter and with a lid.
oh and it’s not the test kit I back checked with my current running tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you water changed since it cycled?

What test kit are you using.. API is hideous for ammonia. So even tho it is there it might not be as high as the test says.

If not it could be possible that some food got built up on the rock and a small spike happened and the bac couldn't keep up.

And yes air is always a good idea.

In that case you just need to water change and boost the bac.

I could be way off tho ;)

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m gonna try haha reading my mind. I’m also gonna buy a cheap air pump and pump in some air. Something keeps telling me that it needs oxygen and I might be starving it! Gonna dose my bacteria and add air and do a couple gallon water change

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I’m gonna try haha reading my mind. I’m also gonna buy a cheap air pump and pump in some air. Something keeps telling me that it needs oxygen and I might be starving it! Gonna dose my bacteria and add air and do a couple gallon water change
Ya I just re read your OP and definitely get some oxygen into the can ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back