Alternative reagent for Alk monitor, KH Director and prob others

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this for about 6 weeks in my KH Director. Straight swap from the GHL reagent to this, no changes, no recalibration.

I got that idea that maybe these alkalinity monitors were just an automation of Randy's DIY alk testing. So I ran through the test using the GHL reagent, and sure enough came out with the same (nearly) alk reading. So I went ahead and ordered some .1N acid off Amazon and lo and behold, perfect readings, at HALF the cost.

If you really want to stock up, there are 4L and larger options on Amazon of .1N acids would fit the bill.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this for about 6 weeks in my KH Director. Straight swap from the GHL reagent to this, no changes, no recalibration.

I got that idea that maybe these alkalinity monitors were just an automation of Randy's DIY alk testing. So I ran through the test using the GHL reagent, and sure enough came out with the same (nearly) alk reading. So I went ahead and ordered some .1N acid off Amazon and lo and behold, perfect readings, at HALF the cost.

If you really want to stock up, there are 4L and larger options on Amazon of .1N acids would fit the bill.

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. You're right, most of the tests we have for carbonate alkalinity just involve adding an acid of a known strength to a sample of seawater until the pH reaches 4.5. Some devices measure the endpoint using a colorimeter to measure the color of a dye, while others measure the pH directly. But that's probably still the most reliable way we have to test alkalinity these days :)

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you still using this solution vs the reagent? Any issues?

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually back on the GHL reagent because I have some of that left. I used a 1L bottle of the Amazon acid and then switched back. I had no issues and plan to go back to it when I run out of GHL reagent.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, so it doesn't matter if it is Hydrochloric, Nitric, or Sulfuric Acid since they are all .1N Acids?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both khd and khg will run DYI reagent successfully.
All what these testers so is calculate start ph point and end of point of a water sample while adding reagent. Ince end ph point reaches, the ammount of reagent added will calculate kh.
As long as the tester allow you to add a fixed delta point to your meaustment, you can use any acidic rodi(reagent) all you need to do is test one time.uaing the new reagent, see the kh, adjust the reading compared to a trusted tester(salifert) and done. As long ad the prepared reagent do not change its acidity over time, your results will be consistent.
I still use the khg reagent cause I purchased a year supply. Each package last me 2 solid months. Reagent is cheap.
But DIY reagent is solid approach ad well.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is essentially what you're using, yes? (The 1L you linked isn't in stock at the moment.)

Also, do you send the waste back into the tank? Sounds like many people do (I do with my Alkatronic) From what I understand, only thing to worry about (if anything really) would be pH fluctuations....

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is essentially what you're using, yes? (The 1L you linked isn't in stock at the moment.)

Also, do you send the waste back into the tank? Sounds like many people do (I do with my Alkatronic) From what I understand, only thing to worry about (if anything really) would be pH fluctuations....
That's the stuff. I never got around to re-routing the waste line. I only have to empty the waste container every 3 weeks so I've just let it run.

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing twice per day, with the default sample size which I think is 80ml. The container is 4L, so 42 tests filling the container every 21 days (though it's never completely full) gives ~95ml waste per test.

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back to using GHL reagent at the moment, I think I have 1 more bottle. I didn't see any change going between GHL reagent and standard .1N acid.

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info on this. Just picked up the kh Director and plan to try and use this option after going through the first bottle that came with the package.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I bought my KHD used, had half a bottle of reagent, once done with it I switched to the 0.1m HCL as mentioned here, and works perfectly fine. Same results, and still constantly reading 0.4 dKh less than hanna checkers (but as long as it is consistent and within range the actual value being different it may not mean anything)

Yanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the product you are guys on about?

0EE50A0D-8A83-42CF-86A5-D5658C6B8760.png

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back