Alternative reagent for Alk monitor, KH Director and prob others

voooooo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone using the .1N acid dumping the waste back into tank? if so, for how long, and any issues if any? thanks.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone using the .1N acid dumping the waste back into tank? if so, for how long, and any issues if any? thanks.
I have been doing this for a month or so on my larger setup 600 gallons. No issues. I’ve been dumping the standard GHL acid back into my 60 gallon for at least 3 months. No issues pH has been rock solid.

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finding this thread I also switch to the .1N acid and readings have been the same. Prior to the KHD i was using salifert alk test which is 8% higher than what my KHD reads, I simply adjust the KHD readings to 8% higher and it matches 100% now.

Yanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post link for this reagent replacement please

lewis_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm going to switch my KH reagent for the 0.1 N HCl. For those that have done this, have you made a breather hole in the HCl container lid so that there is no vacuum created when the pump draws out reagent? Is a breather hole sufficient or should a non-return air valve be attached to the lid? Just concerned that I'll have HCl evaporating off in my sump :D

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm going to switch my KH reagent for the 0.1 N HCl. For those that have done this, have you made a breather hole in the HCl container lid so that there is no vacuum created when the pump draws out reagent? Is a breather hole sufficient or should a non-return air valve be attached to the lid? Just concerned that I'll have HCl evaporating off in my sump :D
I just made the hole I drilled through the cap for the draw tubing large enough to allow air to enter.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is essentially what you're using, yes? (The 1L you linked isn't in stock at the moment.)

Also, do you send the waste back into the tank? Sounds like many people do (I do with my Alkatronic) From what I understand, only thing to worry about (if anything really) would be pH fluctuations....
Dude I love the signature! Still to this day people are confusing hosting/host. I have even seen online and LFS's say it wrong and it makes me crazy! It is so frustrating and I cant look away, that is one of those things! AHHHHH
Sorry for the sidetrack now if someone can bootleg the Hanna ALK reagent I will be happy

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this acid. Works great.

LabChem LC256804 Sulfuric Acid, 0.1N (0.05M), 4 L Volume

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dragon99,

Have you went back to .1N HCL or did you still use the KHD reagent?
Back to .1N acid from Amazon. I went ahead and got a 4L bottle this last time.

Make sure you check the label when you receive it. I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my KHD before I realized Amazon had shipped me sodium hydroxide .1N instead of hydrochloric acid.

A3LXK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to .1N acid from Amazon. I went ahead and got a 4L bottle this last time.

Make sure you check the label when you receive it. I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my KHD before I realized Amazon had shipped me sodium hydroxide .1N instead of hydrochloric acid.
Thanx, i don't order at amazon. There is a compagny here in the Netherlands that sell all kind of chemicals. The got .1N HCL for about $ 3.7 per liter.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back