Alternative ways to prepare water for mixing.

Validator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am setting up a reef tank soon, have explored the rodi route but don't think I have space for a system, was wondering if there are other ways to prepare the freshwater for mixing. Any additives I can get to make the water usable. Maybe seachem prime or others. Where I am, the water is potable out of the tap, I could use those on tap filter devices to further filter it.

Last edited:

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am setting up a reef tank soon, have explored the rodi route but don't think I have space for a system, was wondering if there are other ways to prepare the freshwater for mixing. Any additives I can get to make the water usable. Maybe seachem prime or others. Where I am, the water is potable out of the tap, I could use those on ta' filter devices to further filter it.
I would still recommend an RO/DI kit. I have mine plugged up to a water house outside and I do that to get water. There are additives to ‘clean’ the water but I’m not sure how they work. I would assume those impurities in the water go somewhere.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always tell ppl to make their own sw.
You can buy ro water from a drinking water dispener usually outside the grocery store.
You can also buy ro or pre made sw from the fish store uaually.
You are better off filtering and mixing your own in my opinion.
D

OP
OP
V

Validator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks PBJ, just that I live in an apartment so all the water is from the washroom or my kitchen tap.

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am setting up a reef tank soon, have explored the rodi route but don't think I have space for a system, was wondering if there are other ways to prepare the freshwater for mixing. Any additives I can get to make the water usable. Maybe seachem prime or others. Where I am, the water is potable out of the tap, I could use those on tap filter devices to further filter it.

There’s always room for the RODI filter itself, as they don’t take a lot of space. Can mount most under the sink, etc. An RODI filter is a must with SW. Sounds like you are talking more about a place to mix the sw. One way I’ve used in the past in similar situations is to just a 5g bucket. Fill with RODI water and use a small powerhead and heater in the bucket to mix it up. When done, put it in the closet or storage area.

Worst case scenario, I did the whole 5g jugs from my local LFS every week or two. They usually sell RODI and premixed SW.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the big problem with tap water isn't the chlorine, it's all the other junk in the water measured as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). These are things like metals, phosphates, nitrates and who knows what else. It can cause diatom/nuisance algae problems. Not worth the convenience.

Many grocery stores will sell RODI water, however if you do this, buy a TDS meter, they're cheap online. You cannot trust how often they change the filters. For example my tap water is 300ppm, the "RODI" the stores sell is 150+, and the rodi that comes out of my unit is 0-5.

I do believe there are RODI units that can be connected to taps, unless you can get permission to install a proper unit, which splices into existing water lines. I did this myself in about 15 minutes with basic tools.

If you can't do that, unfortunately your best bet is probably buying RODI from your fish store, but again, check it with a meter to be sure. Mix your own salt, it's way cheaper than buying it, and you have finer control over the salinity and know exactly what's in the salt mix for the micronutrients/minerals. It's as easy as a 5 gallon bucket, a stick and a spare heater. If you want to be fancy, drop a powerhead in instead of mixing with a stick.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i would suggest 1 must have, its RODI

I live in a very small 1 bedroom apartment and my RODI unit is stored under my kitchen sink and i hook it up the the faucet when i need it, disconnect it when i dont. takes 30 seconds. I used to buy from my LFS but it costs a ton of gas/time/money going back and forth.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mighty mite i think its called is the smaller compact rodi unit i u dont want a big heavy 5 or 6 stage unit.
D

OP
OP
V

Validator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the big problem with tap water isn't the chlorine, it's all the other junk in the water measured as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). These are things like metals, phosphates, nitrates and who knows what else. It can cause diatom/nuisance algae problems. Not worth the convenience.

Many grocery stores will sell RODI water, however if you do this, buy a TDS meter, they're cheap online. You cannot trust how often they change the filters. For example my tap water is 300ppm, the "RODI" the stores sell is 150+, and the rodi that comes out of my unit is 0-5.

I do believe there are RODI units that can be connected to taps, unless you can get permission to install a proper unit, which splices into existing water lines. I did this myself in about 15 minutes with basic tools.

If you can't do that, unfortunately your best bet is probably buying RODI from your fish store, but again, check it with a meter to be sure. Mix your own salt, it's way cheaper than buying it, and you have finer control over the salinity and know exactly what's in the salt mix for the micronutrients/minerals. It's as easy as a 5 gallon bucket, a stick and a spare heater. If you want to be fancy, drop a powerhead in instead of mixing with a stick.
Hi Hugh Man, I was actually looking for something that I could feed into my household tap so that I could have RO drinking water, understand that DI is not good for human consumption. So to have a RODI unit where I can channel off RO water to the household drinking tap and a channel to DI for the fish tank. So far no luck on that search. This would have justified to my partner to have the RODI system under the sink.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hugh Man, I was actually looking for something that I could feed into my household tap so that I could have RO drinking water, understand that DI is not good for human consumption. So to have a RODI unit where I can channel off RO water to the household drinking tap and a channel to DI for the fish tank. So far no luck on that search. This would have justified to my partner to have the RODI system under the sink.

You could probably fiddle with extra lines and valves to branch off a line before the DI resin for drinking water, though I don't think you can have it to come out of the actual faucet. My unit came with a separate faucet for drinking water, but had to drill through my sink to install it.

OP
OP
V

Validator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably fiddle with extra lines and valves to branch off a line before the DI resin for drinking water, though I don't think you can have it to come out of the actual faucet. My unit came with a separate faucet for drinking water, but had to drill through my sink to install it.
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I unable to get much support over where I am with regards to parts . Most of my queries were met with shrugs by local vendors.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I unable to get much support over where I am with regards to parts . Most of my queries were met with shrugs by local vendors.
I attached mine to the sink faucet. Most RODI units come with an adapter. You simply unscrew the tip of the faucet spout and screw on the adapter. It would also be very easy to have a T valve to divert water towards and away from the DI after the RO portion. Just look on BRS website. They have everything needed.

OP
OP
V

Validator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Triton, I have watched many a BRS video on youtube while planning the tank set up but I am not sure if they will ship things my way since I am all the way in Asia.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread might help with deciding on what rodi to choose from. As for mixing, 5g bucket, pump(extra powerhead, anything to circulate the water) and heater as other suggested. Depending on tank size you might need a bigger bucket :p

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back