Alternatives to Marine Pure biomedia? Cheap source of bio blocks?

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to pick up ~55 lbs of media -- this is a grow-out tank, so appearance isn't important, and I figured I would pick up some bricks of Bio-Pure, but I've read some stories of them leaching aluminum and/or falling apart over time, so I think I'm going to avoid it.

If appearance isn't important, would it be OK to use ceramic bio rings or something in large enough volume, rather than live/dry rock?

Has anyone found a good, cheap media to solve this? This looks decent:

Detox Blox Bio-Filter Media for Marine and Freshwater Aquariums, 6"x6"x2" (2 Pack)

Last edited:

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't care about looks why not buy the cheap plastic bio balls used in trickle filters. Easy to clean, never deteriorate and you can use them in QT if you treat with copper as it will not be absorbed.

OP
OP
raketemensch

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't care about looks why not buy the cheap plastic bio balls used in trickle filters. Easy to clean, never deteriorate and you can use them in QT if you treat with copper as it will not be absorbed.

I actually have quite a few of those in my sump already, along with a bunch of ceramic bio rings.

In all, the tank/sump have:
  • 15 lbs of new dry rock
  • 20 lbs of old live rock
  • 2-3 inches of old sand
  • a few lbs of ceramic bio rings
  • a bunch of plastic bioballs
I was new to the hobby when I bought the used stuff, and didn't realize how bad it was that the previous owner actually used copper pipe in the return from the canister filter...

I've been through a bunch of PolyBio filter pads and 2 rounds of Cuprisorb with refreshes in between, plus loads of huge water changes, and there is still measurable copper in the water. At this point I believe that it will just continue leaching out of the rock and sand.

So, the sand will get tossed entirely.

The plastic balls will get rinsed and used in the QT.

The new rock, old rock and bio rings will each go in their own bucket with fresh saltwater and a powerhead, and I will test for copper in each of them. Maybe one day they'll be useful for another tank.

The tank itself will get re-started with these Detox Blox, some bio-spira and some calibrated ammonia powder.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back