Alternatives to paint (and oaktag) for tank backing?

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 g/ 6' tank, and used two pieces of black oaktag, with velcro in the corners, to "black out" the back of my tank instead of painting it (I need access to that side). It worked great, and held up far better than you would have thought (years) but the oaktag gets wet, creases after a while, etc. I was thinking there has to be a thin foam product - thinking like a really thin yoga mat? - that would work? Maybe in the crafting world where you could buy it by a roll? Or any other ideas out there for an easily removable backing?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS sells plastic film for the back of your tank. You can get a solid color or ones with fancy water scenes.

I've also used plastic corrugated sign board which again comes in many colors or you could paint it. Not sure you could get it six foot long, but multiple smaller pieces would work out.

OP
OP
B

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS sells plastic film for the back of your tank. You can get a solid color or ones with fancy water scenes.

I've also used plastic corrugated sign board which again comes in many colors or you could paint it. Not sure you could get it six foot long, but multiple smaller pieces would work out.
Thanks. I don’t want anything adhered to back of tank. I want to be able to easily remove and put back on in 2-3 minutes. The oak tag/cardboard I used worked but wasn’t “waterproof” so I thought some kind of foam. I know it exists (material) I just need to find it in the right size. I’ll let you know when I do.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it isn't the cheapest but you can buy pvc panels. A single sheet of 4x8 would do, it's a bit north of $100 but would hit every checkbox you are after. It could be painted with whatever that plastic paint is. Going from memory I think it is called Fusion.

OP
OP
B

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking the honeycombed plastic that yard signs are made of would work. Have to find a source though.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use static cling window blackout that you can buy on Amazon. It sticks to the back with only water so you can remove it any time you want. By far the best thing I've ever used to black out a tank back. You can also get colored versions if you'd like something translucent with a tint.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back