Aluminum light mount submerged in water?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum light mount submerged in water? So I got a used refugium light here and appeared the be light mount was submerge in the water before.

so I checked the height on my set up and I might touch the water, is it safe and won’t leak anything to the water like metal? I don’t aluminum don’t rust but just curious. Thx

589BDF0B-01FC-48C7-972D-D5F87D3C9896.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah kessil gooseneck mounts have a portion in the water. I never had an issue with it effecting the water chemistry but that doesn’t mean it may not cause one.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you were curious on the toxicity of aluminum in the reef tank, here's an article from Randy:

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah kessil gooseneck mounts have a portion in the water. I never had an issue with it effecting the water chemistry but that doesn’t mean it may not cause one.
Prob find a way to mount it else where to avoid that.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a total newbie and just hooked up my Kessil A80 to its gooseneck mount and attached it to the back of my nano tank - there is literally no other place to put it. To mount it properly, part of the metal is definitely in the water. Even as a newbie that seems bad. Anyone know what Kessil says about this? Surely they’ve been asked a million times and I’ve heard they have a great rep. With a nano tank I’m trying to be extra careful!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m a total newbie and just hooked up my Kessil A80 to its gooseneck mount and attached it to the back of my nano tank - there is literally no other place to put it. To mount it properly, part of the metal is definitely in the water. Even as a newbie that seems bad. Anyone know what Kessil says about this? Surely they’ve been asked a million times and I’ve heard they have a great rep. With a nano tank I’m trying to be extra careful!
Get some of that liquid rubber and coat it.
You can dip it, spray it, or paint it on.

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why Kessil is a Hydroponics Company masquerading as a coral growth light company.

Kessel needs to go back to focusing on Hippies growing marijuana in their basements.

Mic drop.....

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is Kessil’s response: “Yes, we have tested the bracket in saltwater for years with no leeching as verified by ICP tests. You're good to leave the water level where it is.”. Okaaaaay then.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is Kessil’s response: “Yes, we have tested the bracket in saltwater for years with no leeching as verified by ICP tests. You're good to leave the water level where it is.”. Okaaaaay then.
But why not make the part with acrylic vs to have consumers to doubt them you need to verify? Simply not smart about it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why Kessil is a Hydroponics Company masquerading as a coral growth light company.

Kessel needs to go back to focusing on Hippies growing marijuana in their basements.

Mic drop.....
LOL! No one grows in their basement anymore.
They just buy it at the store now!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes bc its a scientific fact that Aluminum Oxide can only be created by Elves in magic Treehouses

Last edited:

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mic drop.....

Rofl nobody uses LEDs for growing tree especially not kessils. Still a MH and HPS show.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure Kessil knows what they’re doing. My mount hasn’t caused a problem for me yet.

Kessil is an arm of DiCon Fiberoptics. Kessil and Phillips are the only two companies that produce the light end to end, including manufacturing the diodes and all circuitry.

Someone here seems to have an issue with Kessil. I’m curious, bad experience @skimjim ?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back