OP
OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it... four months from now your fish will start disappearing and you'll realize that that crab tunneled his way through the rock and is alive and fat and happy from eating your most prized fish hahaha
Nightmare material! :O

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanna see funny pic. I didn't glue him into eternity lol but it wasn't orders nicer either.

hairy crab in a jail cell like William h bonney. jail cell is 9 volt battery plastic part from the package, fair to say it was small jail.

had slits for water pass through, a mini sandbed, a live rock, and plant shoot of some caulerpa. this all was packed in the two in refugium inside the 9 inch sealed reef, it was quite the biotetris for sure.

he got fed Mysis with a probe. meanest gun in the west to my acropora, so he got the cordon.
c1.jpg

c2.jpg

in this picture above he was sticking his tin cup out the bars for paltry offerings after singing swing low swt chriot to guilt me

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know if I should write this, but I need to "confess". Don't judge me too hard.

So... today I went to my LFS and, after checking my water and so, the guy encouraged me to get my first coral, a Xenia, in a small LR.
As a good student, got home and started the dip with Coral RX. Little thingies coming out of it, trying to survive. All normal. As I was inspecting the rock, I see LEGS.
There was a small crab, with hairy legs. As I read before, "hairy legs are a no go" so, I did my best to get the crab out. Blowing water, shaking, upside down, everything. I spent almost half an hour trying to get the guy out of the hole he was in. Nothing. I even tried tweezers. No success.

I couldn't wait more and I didn't want to take him in the tank so... I walled him with epoxy. The "cave" had no other exit and I couldn't think of anything else...and as the hole was in the area I needed to stick against my LR, I filled it with epoxy and that's all.

Thing is that now... I feel bad. Uffff...

Edit: from the google I did..might have been a gorilla crab. Not sure. It didn't look friendly at all.

Do you feel bad when you use kalk paste to kill an aiptasia?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know if I should write this, but I need to "confess". Don't judge me too hard.

So... today I went to my LFS and, after checking my water and so, the guy encouraged me to get my first coral, a Xenia, in a small LR.
As a good student, got home and started the dip with Coral RX. Little thingies coming out of it, trying to survive. All normal. As I was inspec iting the rock, I see LEGS.
There was a small crab, with hairy legs. As I read before, "hairy legs are a no go" so, I did my best to get the crab out. Blowing water, shaking, upside down, everything. I spent almost half an hour trying to get the guy out of the hole he was in. Nothing. I even tried tweezers. No success.

I couldn't wait more and I didn't want to take him in the tank so... I walled him with epoxy. The "cave" had no other exit and I couldn't think of anything else...and as the hole was in the area I needed to stick against my LR, I filled it with epoxy and that's all.

Thing is that now... I feel bad. Uffff...

Edit: from the google I did..might have been a gorilla crab. Not sure. It didn't look friendly at all.
I mean I personally would have just brought the coral back to the fish store (you can next time!). It might have died anyway from the dip though so dont feel too bad.

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had some live rock that just... well, sucked. It was infested with bad crabs. So that's where the dental explorer works. They can't see it coming, and one shot through the carapace and Viola! Crab shish kebab.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its not the level of intelligent behavior but rather the lack of prevalence of the creature(novelty and intrigue) in your environment that leads you to feel remorse.. If crabs were crawling all over your home, eating your food, pinching you at night and so on I doubt you would feel any remorse to squish a few dozens of them. And well thats how it would be if you lived in the ocean there are literally billions of crabs in there.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've kept the crab and tossed the xenia, :D. Might need to let the little guy out so it can control the soon to be out of control xenia.

I personally think it was a bad idea to seal the crab inside the live rock. Mostly because now when it dies, it's going to rot in your tank for some time. This can feed an algae bloom or bacterial bloom. An algae bloom would probably be a longer and more annoying headache than a small crab you could've captured with a trap and patience.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've kept the crab and tossed the xenia, :D. Might need to let the little guy out so it can control the soon to be out of control xenia.

I personally think it was a bad idea to seal the crab inside the live rock. Mostly because now when it dies, it's going to rot in your tank for some time. This can feed an algae bloom or bacterial bloom. An algae bloom would probably be a longer and more annoying headache than a small crab you could've captured with a trap and patience.

you wont get an algae bloom from a single small crab not even a spike in anything. the decay process would be gradual and consumed gradually as well. adding some fish food to the tank would have a much larger impact on nutrients.

OP
OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was small crab in a small "cave". It was *maximum* 2 cm/1 inch.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey your not a bad person, next crab you don't want catch him for me, I can introduce him to a bass, and I will guarantee he will never touch the bottom. Remember: fish gotta swim, bird has gotta eat, circle of life, what you didn't see that movie!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back