Am I a fool for not worrying about mushrooms?

Should I be worried?

• YES!!

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Na

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Not if you keep an eye on it.

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct about timeline. Around 7 years for that build up. At first I loved it because my bare rocks were getting covered by a FEW of them without my intervention. They placed themselves where they wanted. Even on the back glass. Slowly until the last year or so then the explosion happened. I have to remove some weekly or even daily when they float around and get stuck on my wavemakers and overflow!! It's a shame I have to flush them though!

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. That was the Perfect answer.

They will definitely take over a rock. This was early in the day at peak lighting, they cover every inch.
PXL_20210403_204057887.jpg
what kind are these?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost lineage green bounced Rhodi's. They've got a really unique blue fade out to a highly serated skirt. We call this rock EARL. these are Earl also that were fragged out of the tank.
PXL_20210414_010551375.jpg
the reason I asked, is I think this is what I have too.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're definitely some similarities. Every earl I have is bounced. Skirts are also a bit different. @LRT has some good pictures of his up close on his build thread as well.
I have had these a while, they don't reproduce as fast as my others, but they're sure pretty! regardless of what they are, they're my favorites!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these a while, they don't reproduce as fast as my others, but they're sure pretty! regardless of what they are, they're my favorites!
Earl rock is the pride and focal point of my tank. When I bought the tank, there were hundreds of them. They reproduce by spawning, splitting, and dropping babies often. . I've shipped a dozen around the country and most of them have split into two within a month of shipping. They are prolific little buggers.

Fts for reference
PXL_20210508_043216578.MP.jpg

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earl rock is the pride and focal point of my tank. When I bought the tank, there were hundreds of them. They reproduce by spawning, splitting, and dropping babies often. . I've shipped a dozen around the country and most of them have split into two within a month of shipping. They are prolific little buggers.

Fts for reference
how beautiful!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I did for a while, but it killed off my pods, and I didnt like that. so now I have a new one, sitting. :rolleyes:
That sucks. I'm running one 24/7, dosing phyto 2x per week and am overrun w pods. I've definitely found when run with a sterilizer, these mushrooms bounce a lot more.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I'm running one 24/7, dosing phyto 2x per week and am overrun w pods. I've definitely found when run with a sterilizer, these mushrooms bounce a lot more.
yeah I dont know really, how that works. I was warned it could affect them, and it sure did. How do you have so many, and run that? I should repopulate mine, I do have some, just not like before I did that. water stays pretty clear however. I am starting to run "all for reef" and now I am seeing some issues. Not really sure that it's related...but none the less. Love my shrooms! Had a lot of the hairy ones, and they literally disappeared. I have one small one left. No clue what happened, or where they went.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I dont know really, how that works. I was warned it could affect them, and it sure did. How do you have so many, and run that? I should repopulate mine, I do have some, just not like before I did that. water stays pretty clear however. I am starting to run "all for reef" and now I am seeing some issues. Not really sure that it's related...but none the less. Love my shrooms! Had a lot of the hairy ones, and they literally disappeared. I have one small one left. No clue what happened, or where they went.
I think it really depends on tank size, how much live rock you have and the flow through your sump. I'm running 120 gallons with quite a bit of live rock. Open loop uv so not Everything coming through the sump, hits the UV.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fts for reference
Grabbed a pic last night. This is how they look with the green glow on my shallow water tables. Still splitting but should be done next few days. The skin on cap is really thinning out ready to split now.
20210507_180549.jpg
20210507_180618.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes they will... Crappy pic of my 125 but you see what I mean. I'm harvesting weekly!! 2 different types took over.
Someone else with a green striped infestation....I don't feel alone anymore.

My timeline for green and red discoma coverage like that was about 8 years, should have killed them off at the base of rock structures, now the little green ones shed and settle wherever they wish weekly.

I've been using Franks F-Aiptasia and started using vinegar, with the vinegar they seem to detach to be siphoned out, the franks pretty much kills them, but any bits of tissue left will regrow.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back