Am I adding fuel to the fire?

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need a lil help here, I know there’s plenty off info out there but that’s the problem, so much info I don’t know what to do now. So am gona just ask the question direct and hope for a direct answer.

I have a reef soft corels only, leather toadstool, xenia, tube anemone, bubble tip, and some palys.
Am wanting to start a colony of copepods, so I’ve picked up some seachem phytoplankton to keep them fed and hopefully feed some Corel. Thing is am also dealing with algie issues, a battle that I am very slowly winning. Green and brown.

The question
Would dosing seachem phytoplankton add to my algie issues?
What are negative side effects of dosing phytoplankton if any?

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 hangs around 0.03 n 0.02 salifert test kit
Alk 7.6 cal 360 mag 1440

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding phytoplankton is a natural and beneficial supplement if dosed accordingly. It should help with algae blooms (very little) because it’s a source of food for your zooplankton. Healthy zooplankton population will help with the algae along with husbandry, ie water changes. Also live cultures is better imo

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture multiple strains of both pods and phyto and regret not starting sooner. Weaning off all other dosing at the moment and never seen better PE and happy corals in general, color is off the charts. Nuisance algae is less of an issue as well, barely need to clean my glass any more. Have the seachem phyto fuel and TBH dunno how much benefit it is. Smells interesting nonetheless, might be good on a salad if you didn’t know what it was.

GreatSouth BayReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live phyto cutlures if added to your tank regularly can help you with your algae. The phytoplankton will soak up a bit of nutrients as it grows, hence less nutrients for the algae itself to eat. Not sure about seachem I never used any of their foods or enhancers. I do use them for alk cal and kh and reef dip. They make good products

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys,
so in theory (depending on brand) adding phyto should NOT increase nutrients or increase algie growth.
It’s also a food source for zooplankton pods fish n corels.

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing SeaChem Phyto for about 3 months now, I have actually noticed a reduction in algae in that time, this may be due to the tank maturing but I have seen no increase in Nitrate or Phosphate. IMO softies also love the stuff.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind there's a difference between live phyto culture and preserved (dead) phyto. Most of the shelved, bottled stuff you buy is dead. There are places (like Algae Barn) that sell live phyto.

While still a good food source for filter feeders, preserved phyto certainly won't consume nitrate and phosphate.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind there's a difference between live phyto culture and preserved (dead) phyto. Most of the shelved, bottled stuff you buy is dead. There are places (like Algae Barn) that sell live phyto.

While still a good food source for filter feeders, preserved phyto certainly won't consume nitrate and phosphate.

^This ....

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I restarted my 240 just about a year ago and as a experiment I decided to try Algaebarn phyto.
I already bought their pods for my wrasses every couple months so I knew they had quality products.
So I buy the combo packs every month and dose the phyto every morning as I fix my coffee.
So far after a year with a moderate fish population and mostly softies, I have not had any of the usual or common algae issues you can have happen in a new tank.
In fact one thing I notice every day is the front glass only needs to be cleaned once every 7-10 days.
So far it's been pretty easy. The phyto is in my fridge next to the creamer. I grab the bottle of phyto and use the measured dispenser side. And put it back in the fridge. Maybe 15-20 seconds out of my morning.

OP
OP
T

The last don

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info guys I fell much more confidant going forward now, in fact it’s been 4 days of dosing at half the recommended amount and I ive already noticed some differences. First I should be wiping the glass by now, it could do with a brush but it ain’t what it normally would be, my bubble tip has spit again.
And as I sit here typing this my sailfin tang has approached the cleaner shrimp for his services. I’ve never seen this in the 2 years off having them. Wow
Seachem does not need refrigeration so I assume it’s dead phyto. I will carry on till it’s over and try live next time, but I think it’s going to be added to my arsenal.
Side note since adding the pods I this has deffo helped with reducing algie. More an more small patches are show where the algie has receded.
Thanks again.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live phyto here as well, the tanks love it. :)
If I added live phyto to my tank with a very light load of fish/coral to eat it, could the live phyto keep living and reproduce in my tank? why or why not?

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I added live phyto to my tank with a very light load of fish/coral to eat it, could the live phyto keep living and reproduce in my tank? why or why not?
Have wondered abt this myself, I’m sure under the right conditions you can have SOME in tank reproduction but I don’t think enough to call self sustainable.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I doubt you could get it to multiply, it also feeds your pods as well, it feeds on nitrates and phosphates in an aquarium.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you could get it to multiply, it also feeds your pods as well, it feeds on nitrates and phosphates in an aquarium.
The net efftect on N and P would be an increase though right? I always hear people saying to be careful with phyto as it will increase nutrients, maybe with live phyto its slightly less or just a delayed (until it dies) increase in N and P.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The net efftect on N and P would be an increase though right? I always hear people saying to be careful with phyto as it will increase nutrients, maybe with live phyto its slightly less or just a delayed (until it dies) increase in N and P.

It has to be live phyto to reduce nutrients, they photosynthesis (?) and then become food for something else. Not a scientist but live phyto is the base of the food chain.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if someone adds live phyto strait to an aquarium, does it just depend on how heavily stocked it is to determine how soon you will need to add more? In a lightly stocked system can adding live phyto be a one time thing then its there forever as reproduction is faster than consumption?

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all of you adding live phyto to your tanks, what is, in your experience, the best strain in terms of nutrient reduction?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back