Am I asking for trouble by not having a tank lid?

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I love the rimless look of my tank, RedSea Reefer 250, but I'm starting to consider that I may end up having to get a lid for it. I would really hate to come home to a dried out fish on my floor. I know it depends a on what species of fish you want to stock. I'm getting my first fish this weekend but I know for sure im going to have:

2 Clownfish
Midas Blenny
Fire Fish
Royal Gramma
Fairy Wrasse

Are any of these a high jump risk?

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Fish were all gymnasts in their past lives. You're going to need a lid big time! Some places sell mesh kits. I have a glass lid custom made for my tank that sits flush with the rim using little mounts that was a really good option for me. My little fire fish gives himself headaches everytime I change the water. Would definitely hold off on him until you get a good lid. As for everything else, I'm not as sure of but most fish jump when spooked - that's just what fish do. I wouldn't risk it!

OP
OP
K

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I need to start looking at lids. I definitely want a Firefish in my tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply sells frames that you can put together and fit with a large mesh screen. They will fit most aquariums. They almost eliminate the problem of jumpers. I have them on my aquariums.

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply did a youtube comparing the Red Sea lid to their own, and seemed to prefer the Red Sea. You may want to check it out.

Last edited:

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for piece of mind get a lid. I lost a clown fish that managed to get through a 1/2 inch gap next to the hang on filter return. How it found that small gap is a mystery.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any and all fish can/will jump if startled. Some just seem to do it for fun. Because your tank is rimless you might look at the ones made by Artfully Acrylic. They will be much less noticeable on your tank. If you had a tank with plastic trim like most, I'd suggest getting thee 1/4" mesh from BRS and anodized aluminum window screen frame from HD/Lowes. You can do a DIY top in about 10 minutes that way.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back