Am I asking for trouble if I get a pistol shrimp?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’be got a 50g cube with a lot of snails, 1 fire shrimp, 2 Pom Poms, 2 sexy shrimp, a sand sifting starfish, 3 hermits, and 3 corals in the substrate.

I’m curious about getting a pistol/goby pair…thinking a candy cane and a yellow watchman goby. Will that pistol cause a lot of problems for my inverts and corals?

Scip150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 lagoon with similar inverts and also a pistol shrimp yellow goby pair. The two stay busy maintaining their burrow most of the day and don’t bother other inverts or fish.

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My candy cane is a model citizen in my 13.5 with my inverts and corals. I would definitely stick with a candy cane as they stay smaller

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp and have only seen it 3 times in 3 months. Never really paired up with my goby. Then again my clowns refuse to host my many BTA and instead prefer a random corner.... so maybe I have bad luck, but I personally would not get a pistol shrimp again.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pistol shrimp crash my tank when I first added it, didn't think it would disturb the dsb as much as it did. Other than my mistake it was a model citizen (until my hogfish ate him :( RIP) the pops can really freak ya out I always thought it was my tank blowing a seam. I wouldn't get one if you have alot of corals on your sandbed or really low on the rock they'll get buried.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tiger pistols, (one was supposed to be a candy cane but now is too big and looks like a tiger) One is in a 29 gal and the other is in a 6 gal. BOTH ARE MAJOR EARTH MOVERS!. one is 2 years old the other 1. I remember worrying if I'd put enough sand in my aquarium as they both were late additions. Nevermind, they've both built "embankments" 6" deep (high) by bringing sand in. will edit photos tomorrow and post. Between the engineer gobies (in one tank paired with a shrimp) and the shrimp, the tanks look different every day.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a tiger (and goby) that absolutely rules the decor in a 15 peninsula water box. The tank is his - everybody else are just visitors.
I have one or two pistols that came in off keys live rock and can hardly tell they are they’re and a 90 lagoon and a 180 display
so it depends, but think a candy cane in a 50 will be fun

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger in my 13.5 and he is fine. Only issues are some flipped frags and the occasional stolen hermit crab (they always escape). Just make sure to fix anything dangerous it does (ie: flipped frags).
And that’s a tiger, candy canes are known to be less destructive.

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pistol shrimp for about a year and love finding him randomly hiding under the rock work. I hear him pistoling away from all over the house and have had no ill effects from having him. Very reclusive but a unique tank inhabitant that I enjoy.

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp and have only seen it 3 times in 3 months. Never really paired up with my goby. Then again my clowns refuse to host my many BTA and instead prefer a random corner.... so maybe I have bad luck, but I personally would not get a pistol shrimp i wonder if another goby would help, in nature they keep constant contact with them as they are basically blind.
I wonder if adding another would change that? I mean you could try it and see what happens

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least 1 pistol. I had confirmed 2 (seen neither for a long time) Also a mantis in a 30gal mixed.
I keep finding dead (bad crabs) but what ever kills them seems to leave the good crabs (squat lobsters) and no one has bothered with my 2 shrimp

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least 1 pistol. I had confirmed 2 (seen neither for a long time) Also a mantis in a 30gal mixed.
I keep finding dead (bad crabs) but what ever kills them seems to leave the good crabs (squat lobsters) and no one has bothered with my 2 shrimp
As in mantis shrimp? Depending if its a slasher or smasher Eventually everything will be his food

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back