Am I at a disadvantage using all for reef on sps dominant system ?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. My second tank is almost ready for sps. My first tank I have two acropora that I have had for 2 years. The coloration is amazing but I feel I’m not getting good growth. When i test everything is super stable especially my alk. I was planning to use All for reef on my new big tank which will be mostly sps. Im wondering if you think I’m at a disadvantage to growth if I keep using all for reef vs a 2 part balling. Thank you very much.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Triton on my first tank and switched to AFR on my new 150 gallon. So far SPS loving it.

Have done 2 IPC tests so far and they came back perfect.

My plan is to start with AFR and then maybe go to the balling method or hybrid BRS balling method if needed.

Also the AFR powder is a lot cheaper than the liquid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No but for large tank AFR can really hurt your wallet
I don’t think it will be too bad with the powder. 125 gallons total. I’m just wondering if there is any disadvantage if the other params stay stable and within range.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use it since couple years and do have great growth and coloration. Make sure you use the powder since it is cheaper
I have been using powder which doesn’t make it too bad. I’m just wondering if I’ll get better growth individually dosing. The people at LFS said I’m at a disadvantage because when I have full sps they will take up all and calcium differently

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was using Triton on my first tank and switched to AFR on my new 150 gallon. So far SPS loving it.

Have done 2 IPC tests so far and they came back perfect.

My plan is to start with AFR and then maybe go to the balling method or hybrid BRS balling method if needed.

Also the AFR power is a lot cheaper than the liquid.
Can you explain the balling method and brs balling method hybrid ? I have been using the powder. The people
At LFS claim afr puts me at a disadvantage and I’m wondering if that’s why my growth hasn’t been the best despite great coloration. They said when you get a lot of sticks they will use the calcium and alk at differing rates. Have you noticed that at all?

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain the balling method and brs balling method hybrid ? I have been using the powder. The people
At LFS claim afr puts me at a disadvantage and I’m wondering if that’s why my growth hasn’t been the best despite great coloration. They said when you get a lot of sticks they will use the calcium and alk at differing rates. Have you noticed that at all?
Really it comes down to whether you want to invest significantly more time with monitering and money sourcing all the elements along with ICP tests to get like 10% more growth or so.

all for reef is basically a all in one solution that should get you by until you are growing massive colonies that requires adding aditional elements.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really it comes down to whether you want to invest significantly more time with monitering and money sourcing all the elements along with ICP tests to get like 10% more growth or so.

all for reef is basically a all in one solution that should get you by until you are growing massive colonies that requires adding aditional elements.
Thank you I think I’m going to stick with it until it isn’t working anymore. Glad to hear some people have gotten good results with just AFR and sps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back