Am I crazy for wanting a hydros when I have an apex?

mattshell81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this dilemma where I really want a hydros for the cheaper accessories that’s seem to last longer(I have heard so many bad reviews of things I wanted like the apex auto feeder and ato), but I don’t want to seell off all my apex gear. Is it too ridiculous to run two controllers on my mainly sps 140 that has a 50 gallon refugium and a 110 gallon sump? The reasoning for keeping the apex is I love the trident and now that I have learned it’s quirks it has been a blessing for me since I’m partially colorblind and can’t read tests well at all. I was going through so much reagent for my Hanna checkers when I had to rely on those and I had no way to accurately test my magnesium. I could do the hydros and then get a separate auto tester but I feel In the end that would end up costing a whole lot more than just adding a hydros and the accessories I want it for. Is there any auto testers out there you all would recommend if I were to replace my apex system? I don’t have a ton of money to spend and I do love the trident, apex unit, and dos for what they are but I just keep seeing so many negative reviews for the majority of apex accessories that I would like to have.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I have an Apex on one of my tanks but on my other tank I’ll be getting a hydros. Cheaper, simpler, and probably a better user interface. The Apex EB832s scare me and their products are so expensive now and in some cases inferior

OP
OP
M

mattshell81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the Apex side of things... but I have a Hydros and I love it. User friendly, great support, and like others have said... CHEAPER. I almost feel like Apex is a cult in some ways..
I agree I see so much praise but almost everything aside from the main unit, dos, and trident have been junk. It’s really just the trident keeping me on it. I don’t know if any other auto testing option that’s as cheap as the trident and since I got my apex used for a good price at the time it was the best option considering I got the monitoring and control of the apex plus an auto tester for way less than other auto testers are.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hydros appears to be a great option. Most of our devices are already wifi / bluetooth connected with their own apps. It seems the Hydros can be a full on controller or a supplement to the built in controllers in most of our DC gear, for a minimal initial investment. Also, it appears to take up less space and can sync with non proprietary wifi devices. Far as after purchase support, wondering what kind of experience people are having with Hydros. I am actually surprised that Neptune has yet to offer something similar, or even a simple monitor. Maybe they do?

Basically, you are not crazy.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say that I have a trident and the AFS and not had any issues with either. Both run well.

They all do the same thing it just depends on what you want to see. I prefer my auto tester to be in the same spot as all my other parameters. I also think that Neptune does an ok job at innovating new things every year so I havent had any desire to look at other solutions. Neptune for sure is the most expensive but i have had good luck with them. I have my original APEX for around 10 years and it still works like the day I got it. Then I have the 2016 pro model or whatever and its been good also.

I wouldnt just spend money to change unless you just want to spend money lol

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never a bad idea to have your eggs in different baskets. I still own both myself.

tdhnry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have both as well. I use the apex Jr A3 with a Trident for monitoring everything and the Hydros to control everything.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydros and love it. I came from the Digital Aquatics controllers. Setting it up was similar in some ways to the Archon I was using. I have been transitioning from the Archon to the Hydros over a period of time. During the transition I was passing signals between the Archon and Hydros using relays. That seem to work very well and I imagine it would be possible with the Apex as well. I used switch input ports on the Archon with relays driven with drive ports on the Hydros to go from Hydros to Archon. I used PC4 outlets driving relays to the sense ports to go from Archon to Hydros. I added my Hydros first in my garage and added to it in the garage until I was able to get a cable from the garage to the tank for the Hydros command buss. I use a unused cat5 cable that was already run from the garage to the room with the tank. Now I am up to 9 Hydros controllers in a collective. I have 4 at the tank and 5 in the garage. The ATO, AWC and dosing pumps are in the garage along with the RODI system and storage tanks. The tank is in a room 35ft from the garage.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are crazy. I have an Apex controller on both of my tanks. My son uses Hydros on his tanks. I like the look and the simplicity of the Hydros ecosystem. I also like the ability to write code to control different devices how I want to with the Apex.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are crazy. I have an Apex controller on both of my tanks. My son uses Hydros on his tanks. I like the look and the simplicity of the Hydros ecosystem. I also like the ability to write code to control different devices how I want to with the Apex.
You can do complex things with the hydros. I control my RODI system and my mixing station. That is along with ATO, AWC and All For Reef dosing. It also controls all the standard things. My DI reservoir is automatically refilled with the RODI when it goes low. It also refills the fresh saltwater reservoir when it gets low from the mixing tank as long as the mixing tank is ready to use. It then refills the mixing tank from the RODI and clear the Mix tank ready flag. All I have to do is add the salt mix ans then press a button when it is ready for use. I have a build thread on here and the RODI control starts on post #128 on page 7. Here is a link to page 7 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canopy-and-stand-build-for-42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/page-7 .

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do complex things with the hydros. I control my RODI system and my mixing station. That is along with ATO, AWC and All For Reef dosing. It also controls all the standard things. My DI reservoir is automatically refilled with the RODI when it goes low. It also refills the fresh saltwater reservoir when it gets low from the mixing tank as long as the mixing tank is ready to use. It then refills the mixing tank from the RODI and clear the Mix tank ready flag. All I have to do is add the salt mix ans then press a button when it is ready for use. I have a build thread on here and the RODI control starts on post #128 on page 7. Here is a link to page 7 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canopy-and-stand-build-for-42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/page-7 .
Thanks for the link. It is impressive what the Hydros can do!

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this dilemma where I really want a hydros for the cheaper accessories that’s seem to last longer(I have heard so many bad reviews of things I wanted like the apex auto feeder and ato), but I don’t want to seell off all my apex gear. Is it too ridiculous to run two controllers on my mainly sps 140 that has a 50 gallon refugium and a 110 gallon sump? The reasoning for keeping the apex is I love the trident and now that I have learned it’s quirks it has been a blessing for me since I’m partially colorblind and can’t read tests well at all. I was going through so much reagent for my Hanna checkers when I had to rely on those and I had no way to accurately test my magnesium. I could do the hydros and then get a separate auto tester but I feel In the end that would end up costing a whole lot more than just adding a hydros and the accessories I want it for. Is there any auto testers out there you all would recommend if I were to replace my apex system? I don’t have a ton of money to spend and I do love the trident, apex unit, and dos for what they are but I just keep seeing so many negative reviews for the majority of apex accessories that I would like to have.
Yes . Biggest mistake I ever made. Glad I kept the apex . Hydros I think is garbage

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wha

What were you issues with the hydros? The main thing that makes me interested in it is how cheap a lot of the extras are.
I cannot say but some think there is no way to do advanced things with the Hydros. I think I am doing some advanced things with mine. It controls my RODI system. It also controls and refills my DI tank and the fresh saltwater tank from the mix tank if the water in the mix tank is ready to use. Once the transfer completes it refills the mix tank with DI from the RODI. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready to use. I also control my ATO, AWC and All For Reef dosing. I also control my LED lighting with 0-10v outputs so it ramps up to the max set level and then ramps back down to complete the cycle. I also control my two heaters, Two cooling fans, skimmer and return pump. Here is a link to my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canopy-and-stand-build-for-42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/page-7 . I have information on my Hydros starting on page 7. I had a Archon before and I was able to use the float switches and pH probes from that on the Hydros. The Hydros kits come with a temp sensor and pH probe unless you are getting a controller only and you do nit want to get controller only unless you are adding it to an existing system and starting or have a collective. You would need a command buss cable and two terminator if you don't already have the terminators.

Back