Am I dealing with dino?

ecnerret_kiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank. Cycled for 1 month. Added fish and coral after. It has been fine for for 2 weeks.
recently, brown spots start showing up and getting worse quickly. Strings with bubbles started to form. I hope they they are diatoms but in my guts I know they are dino.
Can someone ID for me please?

20230326_214326.jpg 20230326_214337.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank. Cycled for 1 month. Added fish and coral after. It has been fine for for 2 weeks.
recently, brown spots start showing up and getting worse quickly. Strings with bubbles started to form. I hope they they are diatoms but in my guts I know they are dino.
Can someone ID for me please?

20230326_214326.jpg 20230326_214337.jpg
so far, I would say diatoms. keep your eyes peeled.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms but could also be a little Cyanobacteria. .

have you tested nutrients ?
Can we assume you’re using rodi water ?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume they are not dinos based on age, and I don't think its likely to get dinos before something consumes nutrients to bottom them out

Given the timing, I am pretty certain its going to be your diatom bloom.

It's not a bad time to start being proactive and checkong your nutrients to make sure they dont hit 0. I personally won't start a tank without having neonitro and neophos on hand to keep them up to at keast 3ppm no3 and .02ppm phos. However, your mileage may vary, and this is only based on my experience of diatom bloom bottoming out my nutrients after a week and getting lyngbya quickly followed by dinos. Part of my issue however is probably that I start with macro algae in a fuge, and will have a large volume of water with 1 or 2 fish, causing too little nutrient input while having an export method in place early.

OP
OP
ecnerret_kiss

ecnerret_kiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms but could also be a little Cyanobacteria. .

have you tested nutrients ?
Can we assume you’re using rodi water ?
I started with dechlorinated tap water for cycling.
Top up and water change with RODI water.

OP
OP
ecnerret_kiss

ecnerret_kiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume they are not dinos based on age, and I don't think its likely to get dinos before something consumes nutrients to bottom them out

Given the timing, I am pretty certain its going to be your diatom bloom.

It's not a bad time to start being proactive and checkong your nutrients to make sure they dont hit 0. I personally won't start a tank without having neonitro and neophos on hand to keep them up to at keast 3ppm no3 and .02ppm phos. However, your mileage may vary, and this is only based on my experience of diatom bloom bottoming out my nutrients after a week and getting lyngbya quickly followed by dinos. Part of my issue however is probably that I start with macro algae in a fuge, and will have a large volume of water with 1 or 2 fish, causing too little nutrient input while having an export method in place early.
I am getting a microscope soon to identify it. Dealing with dinos and diatoms is totally different approaches.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back