Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it is?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read good things about them, but haven't tried them myself. I think I might for my next online order, whenever that may be.

I haven't had trouble with wrasses, at least Halichoeres, with Copper Power. It's really easy to use.

You're doing the right thing by QTing. I know it can be frustrating. For me, getting reasonably healthy livestock is by far the toughest part of the hobby. Sometimes we all lose fish through no fault of our own.
The only place I trust 100% to buy fish from online is Dr. Reef. I have 2 new ones arriving tomorrow actually. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Great customer service, and extremely nice, healthy fish. Definitely recommend.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take one of the 10 gallon tanks. Pull a piece of rock or media out of your main tank, and put it in there.

Next time you get fish, throw one in that 10g tank. Don't treat if for anything. Just let it be. If it's alive after a week, and your other fish aren't, it's your method.

Shipping is rough on fish. Transport is rough on fish. Dips and prophylactic treatments are rough. Barebottom stark QT tanks are rough. Give the fish a chance to heal up from the first couple before you start hitting them with meds.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to keep a fish alive through QT. I started with 2 clown fish and everything went great, but every fish i've tried to put through QT since then has died. I'm doing a hybrid tank transfer method QT since I didn't want to mess with copper dosing, but every fish I get just dies within 5 days.

I am using freshly mixed salt from 0 tds rodi water, I mix 50 gallons at the start of the process to 35 ppt and heat it to 78 degrees. The tanks are 10g with a small heater and airstone and an ammonia alert badge. Fish are acclimated over 20 minutes or so and released into the tank. They all seem fine for the first 24 hours, usually even taking some food.

I've lost 2 wrasses and a royal gramma so far. one at a time. I never have more than 1 fish in QT at a time. The wrasses had no visible signs of illness, though the royal gramma showed some weird translucent splotches near the end. The wrasses both died before the first tank transfer and the royal gramma 24 hours after the first transfer.

I have a separate frag tank for QT of inverts and corals that uses the same water and the corals are all happy looking and open, and the DT with my two lonely clowns are happy and healthy.

Am I doing something wrong here? Do fish just die this often? My only LFS doesn't do any sort of QT, just an initial formalin dip.
@MarsReefer

I read through most of the thread from like a month ago and am wondering if you have had better success keeping new fish alive since you began this thread? I also noticed that your lfs does a formalin dip which led me to suspect that their dipping new arrivals may be the source of your fish dying after a few days in QT?

Anyway, I hope you have gotten a few fish added to the DT? Nothing is more frustrating than having stuff die while a p[erson is trying to assemble an artificial reef in their home or office.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MarsReefer

I read through most of the thread from like a month ago and am wondering if you have had better success keeping new fish alive since you began this thread? I also noticed that your lfs does a formalin dip which led me to suspect that their dipping new arrivals may be the source of your fish dying after a few days in QT?

Anyway, I hope you have gotten a few fish added to the DT? Nothing is more frustrating than having stuff die while a p[erson is trying to assemble an artificial reef in their home or office.
I went ahead and paid extra to get fish pre-QT'd from Dr. Reef. I just got my next batch of fish today actually. They are in the DT, seem happy and are already eating, which is better than any of my other fish have done up to this point. I'll let you know in 4 days if they are still doing well. It was a little more expensive up front, but if this works then it will be my go to method going forward.

I haven't had any issues dipping and QT'ing corals, so i'll keep doing that myself.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they are beautiful, healthy, and very happy in the tank. I don't think i'll bother with QT any more, i'll just pay to have it done for me which makes a lot of the stress of it all off of me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back