Am I dosing Red Sea trace color right??

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got trace colors from Red Sea, I am using about 52 ml weekly of calcium on my 200 gallon system, let’s just say 50 ml for this Scenario this week.
Would I be correct to say that I would just dose at 5ml of each element this week? Would that be correct??

thanks in advance!!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% of the CA uptake.
So, 5ml is correct.
I’m 30ml per day, so for me 3ml per day of each.
Running a year now.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got trace colors from Red Sea, I am using about 52 ml weekly of calcium on my 200 gallon system, let’s just say 50 ml for this Scenario this week.
Would I be correct to say that I would just dose at 5ml of each element this week? Would that be correct??

thanks in advance!!

Are you using the red sea calcium? It is 1/10th red sea calcium (1ml of trace for every 20ppm calcium; red sea calcium is 1ml=2ppm)

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% of the CA uptake.
So, 5ml is correct.
Running a year now
10% of the CA uptake.
So, 5ml is correct.
Running a year now.
Have you always done daily or would weekly work as well?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you always done daily or would weekly work as well?
I used the My Recipe Wizard as a starting point. I dose trace elements daily. That is a good question though. I use a ReefDose for Alk, Ca, Mg and AB+ food and don't want to set up another for trace elements. Daily hand dose, does get tiresome so I wonder about weekly as well...

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the My Recipe Wizard as a starting point. I dose trace elements daily. That is a good question though. I use a ReefDose for Alk, Ca, Mg and AB+ food and don't want to set up another for trace elements. Daily hand dose, does get tiresome so I wonder about weekly as well...

Definitely going to check out the link thank you, haven’t seen that,
And yea I’m out of town a lot so I’d hate to start doing daily and not be able to keep it up

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a doser, it makes this much easier.
Less and more frequent is always best from a stability perspective.
Weekly is fine.
I definitely have a few extra dosers, lol (only using 3 right now in that photo) how did you calculate how much and how often do you dose?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 40

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am, should I dose daily or will weekly work do you think?

I dosed weekly when I used their trace program since I didn't want to dose 6 bottles daily. Daily is probably better.

Now I use a single bottle lol

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed weekly when I used their trace program since I didn't want to dose 6 bottles daily. Daily is probably better.

Now I use a single bottle lol
Lol just took the total cal for the week and dosed based on that?

also curious what you switched to and why?

Sorry for all the questions.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have a few extra dosers, lol (only using 3 right now in that photo) how did you calculate how much and how often do you dose?
For me I dose 30ml CA per day on the half hour.
So my ABCD is 3ml per day.
So I just dose 1 ml every 8 hours.
I doubt there’s much dif if I did all 3ml at once, but, the more frequent helps lines not to clog.
I dose everything, the machine works better than me.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just took the total cal for the week and dosed based on that?

also curious what you switched to and why?

Sorry for all the questions.

Yeah I dosed once a week based on my daily calcium dose x7. I dose by hand as my anxiety does not allow me to trust an auto doser lol

At first I stopped dosing color D as I don't keep tunicates (they use vanadium) and I could not find any use for the other elements in a reef tank (tungsten, silver, gold). I don't do water changes (only when cleaning out the sump or some low flow area of the tank), thus I don't want to build up unecessary things. I also didn't want to dose the iron complex as, again, it contains a lot of metals that are not known to be useful biologically (such as aluminum and tin) and I don't want them to build up. At some point I switched to chaetogro with the iodine bottle here and there (still using red sea calcium and brs or seachem for alk). In didn't realize that brightwell put iodine in the chaetogro as they seemed to forgot to list it on their website and I just assumed the bottle's ingredients were matching that. I eventually made the liquid red sea calcium out of the power and I didn't like the gunk contaminants at the bottom as, again, I don't want unknown things building up in my tank. I then switched to all for reef, and subsequently all for reef powder. Now I dose all for reef, with the potassium every other week (all for reef seems to forget potassium), extra iron here and there, and the occasional magnesium as all for reef does not keep up with my magnesium demand.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back