Am I feeding the critters too much?

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. After Velvet disaster wiped out 11 of the 14 fish I had I am just getting it back up and running after 8 weeks. Just 3 tangs (Hippo, Sailfin and Purple) 3-3.5 inches 2 Chromis and a couple of large Blood Shrimp so far but fixing to add more. Anyways been feeding them 2 cubes (PE) mysis, 1/4 sheet of nori and couple of turns of the AFS with Pellets daily. They do eat it up FAST but seems like a lot and my Nitrates already (2 weeks) starting to take off 16.9! Just added a ATS (Turbo Aquatics) today and still changing socks every 2 days and Nyos 120 skimmer collecting fine but algae starting to take off as well. So what do you guys think on amount being fed?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you spread this out over 3 feedings it might help with any waste.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. After Velvet disaster wiped out 11 of the 14 fish I had I am just getting it back up and running after 8 weeks. Just 3 tangs (Hippo, Sailfin and Purple) 3-3.5 inches 2 Chromis and a couple of large Blood Shrimp so far but fixing to add more. Anyways been feeding them 2 cubes (PE) mysis, 1/4 sheet of nori and couple of turns of the AFS with Pellets daily. They do eat it up FAST but seems like a lot and my Nitrates already (2 weeks) starting to take off 16.9! Just added a ATS (Turbo Aquatics) today and still changing socks every 2 days and Nyos 120 skimmer collecting fine but algae starting to take off as well. So what do you guys think on amount being fed?
Well, let me start by admitting I know I'm an overfeeder but I'm okay with more maintenance because I'm an overfeeder

I think you are an overfeeder too - question becomes: are YOU okay with extra maintenance?

I had to go back East for 5 weeks and just got back... and while gone BF cut way back on dried nori as he noticed algae in tank was coloring matching that day's partial algae sheet (red or green)... My refugium algae has disappeared while gone, so I've ordered more Red Ogo yesterday from AlgaeBarn that should be here next week.

My tank bad algae is almost gone, so I'm less a fan of dry nori ... but my Tangs need algae so if not dry nori going to go back to live Red Ogo (I had a sump full when I left, he changed refugium flow or something and he reports after refugium change all my macroalgae (that was also Tangs' snack) went out of sump refugium, thru tank, into filter socks and into trash <sigh>) Yet despite missing refugium macroalgae, nuisance algae nearly gone so must admit BF is on to something with cutting back on DRY nori...

Back