Am I feeding too much?

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time I have a pair of clown fish, pistol shrimp, feather duster, sea whip, and a few snails, hermit crabs, and a brittle star. I feed small amounts twice a day. Morning they get a tiny pinch of flakes and for dinner they get frozen and I throw in crab/shrimp pellets. I was researching online and there are several people who only feed once every two to three days and even some who only feed on weekends. Luke and Princess Leia beg for food every time they see me. They eat like they are starving. I can’t imagine only feeding them two- three times a week. Am I feeding them too much?
Virginia

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are primarily 2 types of fish we have in our tanks. Herbivore or carnivore.
Herbivore like tangs are in wild always grazing and searching for algae and food while carnivore may eat one day go without few days then eat again etc.
Most fish will eat only what they want and how much they want. You can see that in effect in your tank by putting a lot of food. Most fish will eat enough and let the rest of food pass by to settle in sump or bottom of the tank.
In my opinion a mix variety of food should be offered at least twice a day. Just enough for all the food to be consumed within 2 to 3 min.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are primarily 2 types of fish we have in our tanks. Herbivore or carnivore.
Herbivore like tangs are in wild always grazing and searching for algae and food while carnivore may eat one day go without few days then eat again etc.
Most fish will eat only what they want and how much they want. You can see that in effect in your tank by putting a lot of food. Most fish will eat enough and let the rest of food pass by to settle in sump or bottom of the tank.
In my opinion a mix variety of food should be offered at least twice a day. Just enough for all the food to be consumed within 2 to 3 min.
Thank you

Back