Am I going to fry my corals?

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an AI Prime HD(13) over my Evo 13.5. UV, violet, blue, deep blue 100%, white 60%, red 35%, green 30%. I'm going to swap it out with my 4 bulb t5ho(24w tubes) with 2 ATI super Actinic, ATI blue+, and ATI aqua blue special. Tank has acros, favia, chalices, torch, maxima clam. Question is, am I going to bleach them all out with a simple swap??

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to double check the par both before and after you install... from personal experience, any change in lighting intensity can cause bleaching and tissue damage, even when done slowly. A quick swap like that will likely create some issues for you; especially with chalices, torches, and favias. Your clam and acros will love the brighter lights though...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go through some stress just from the switch. However T5 is much less likely to burn a coral than LED. Diffused light vs single point.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to start at a reduced schedule and acclimate them rather than 12 hours on day one.

OP
OP
ClearRain

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 8 hour schedule, ramp up 2 hours, 4 hours max settings, 2 hours ramp down. Was thinking I could start with 6 hour schedule using 2 bulbs for 2 weeks to acclimate? Then add third bulb, 2 weeks, add fourth bulb. Keeping all non acros on the sand bed? Or use something like weed fabric to reduce the intensity of the light?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back