Am I just insane or is this doable?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have always wanted an Imperator Angel. The situation is this;
I have a 4’x2’x2’ tank and a 3’x16”x1’ tank. The imperator will eventually go into the 4’ tank if it’s not possible to do so instantly.
In my 4’ tank I have;
- 1x Halichoeres chloropterus
- 1x Halichoeres iridis *Most likely to show aggression
- 1x Parachelinus species (Hybrid)
- 1x Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- 2x Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
- 1x Ctenochaetus binotatus *Least likely to show aggression
- 1x Genicanthus melanospilos
- 1x Chelmon rostratum
- 1x Siganus magnificus
- 1x Escenius lineatus
- 1x Cryptocentrus cinctus
- 1x Amphiprion occelaris x percula
To add to the list I’ve seen a beautiful 1 inch specimen of Pomacanthus imperator now, I’m aware that they may max out around 1’ (Or larger - I personally don’t think any imperator will get 16”+ unless bought around that size). I know long term my tank will not suffice - If I cannot get a 5’-6’ tank then I will trade him into the LFS. If I need a larger specimen to introduce into this 4’ tank then I will use my 3’ to try grow him to Atleast 2 inches. In my 3’ tank I have;
- 1x Macropharyngodon bipartitus
- 1x Gobiodon acicularis
-
3x Pseudocheilinops ataenia
-
1x Discordipinna griessingeri
- 1x Stonogobiops yasha

What I want to know is;
- How fast do imperators actually grow (I would rather hear replies from people that own this species but all opinions will be taken into account)
- Is it doable
And finally… am I just insane or would you do it - If so, who would you be most worried about with aggression and how would you introduce the imperator without an acclimation box.

An FTS of the 4’ tank.
B7288F46-44A4-4E02-81D6-E0BE8E02BD66.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have always wanted an Imperator Angel. The situation is this;
I have a 4’x2’x2’ tank and a 3’x16”x1’ tank. The imperator will eventually go into the 4’ tank if it’s not possible to do so instantly.
In my 4’ tank I have;
- 1x Halichoeres chloropterus
- 1x Halichoeres iridis *Most likely to show aggression
- 1x Parachelinus species (Hybrid)
- 1x Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- 2x Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
- 1x Ctenochaetus binotatus *Least likely to show aggression
- 1x Genicanthus melanospilos
- 1x Chelmon rostratum
- 1x Siganus magnificus
- 1x Escenius lineatus
- 1x Cryptocentrus cinctus
- 1x Amphiprion occelaris x percula
To add to the list I’ve seen a beautiful 1 inch specimen of Pomacanthus imperator now, I’m aware that they may max out around 1’ (Or larger - I personally don’t think any imperator will get 16”+ unless bought around that size). I know long term my tank will not suffice - If I cannot get a 5’-6’ tank then I will trade him into the LFS. If I need a larger specimen to introduce into this 4’ tank then I will use my 3’ to try grow him to Atleast 2 inches. In my 3’ tank I have;
- 1x Macropharyngodon bipartitus
- 1x Gobiodon acicularis
-
3x Pseudocheilinops ataenia
-
1x Discordipinna griessingeri
- 1x Stonogobiops yasha

What I want to know is;
- How fast do imperators actually grow (I would rather hear replies from people that own this species but all opinions will be taken into account)
- Is it doable
And finally… am I just insane or would you do it - If so, who would you be most worried about with aggression and how would you introduce the imperator without an acclimation box.

An FTS of the 4’ tank.
B7288F46-44A4-4E02-81D6-E0BE8E02BD66.jpeg
I also forgot to mention my 4’ has been running for around 2.5 years now and as you can see, very leather and softie heavy. There are certain coral I already can’t own due to the fish in there being heavily RSWC. Corals are a love for me but I have my SPS in a separate tank and this tank is heavily Softie/LPS mixed. I already can’t keep zoas or palys due to one of the fish in there so they’re not a HUGE want for me anyway.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t the fastest growers out there but they do grow if fed a lot. I would have some concerns in an estimated 120 gallon from your measurements. they can (and will) be very bossy and I dont think you could keep one for more than 2 years realistically and I think that would even be pushing it. once they hit around 6” they really should be in large tanks. I have one thats a couple inches short of a foot in my 450. I have had him for maybe a year and a half and i got him at roughly 6inches. so close to 4 inches in a year and a half for my specific guy. I feed very frequently and it could be part of the reason for the growth rate but I dont think you could do one long term. you could test your luck and see how long you get but that is my personal experience

In regards to stocking I dont think it matters. once your emperor can click its gill plates it will put any fish that challenges it in their place. even if the emperor is the smaller fish.

I truly and genuinely believe emperors can touch 16” if given the right environment and diet, and personally I would not do it if I were in your shoes.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t the fastest growers out there but they do grow if fed a lot. I would have some concerns in an estimated 120 gallon from your measurements. they can (and will) be very bossy and I dont think you could keep one for more than 2 years realistically and I think that would even be pushing it. once they hit around 6” they really should be in large tanks. I have one thats a couple inches short of a foot in my 450. I have had him for maybe a year and a half and i got him at roughly 6inches. so close to 4 inches in a year and a half for my specific guy. I feed very frequently and it could be part of the reason for the growth rate but I dont think you could do one long term. you could test your luck and see how long you get but that is my personal experience

In regards to stocking I dont think it matters. once your emperor can click its gill plates it will put any fish that challenges it in their place. even if the emperor is the smaller fish.

I truly and genuinely believe emperors can touch 16” if given the right environment and diet, and personally I would not do it if I were in your shoes.
if you are gonna trade him in if unable to upgrade then go for it. Resale on emperors is very high and may make a buck or two.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to scrap the idea as we just don’t have room for an 8’+ tank. And I doubt an LFS would take back a 4-5 inch emperor.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to scrap the idea as we just don’t have room for an 8’+ tank. And I doubt an LFS would take back a 4-5 inch emperor.
craigslist or even R2R, you would be surprised. I am selling my guy. I got him with a damaged unhealable fin way back and people are still willing to come pick him up for 100s of dollars

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back