OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is much wider than you need. 6 in would be enough. Obviously that isn't the siphon tube I'll use but just to illustrate. The baffle on the left has holes in it the right is solid. It maintains the water level if power is out so algea stays in water and the siphon is maintained. This was built for a 55. The one I run my 30 on is 8wide and 14 long. No water changes for over 4 years. I never hang mine on the tank. Build a shelf if you can. The size you need won't hold a gallon of water or so. Much lighter and more efficient than a aquarium would be. The pump goes in the chamber on the right. I run my lights 24 hours. Helps keep pH stable when DT lights are out.
great stuff! For me it would be much easier to get a 30-50 liters (8-12g) tank instead of building it myself as I can get for less than 30 $ the tank, then I would need the siphon and a pump. For the shelf I have an heavy duty shelf-cabinet lying around (those for garages), I just need to hack it a bit so the top of the tank corresponds to the top of my dt.. Otherwise I could see if there is any pre-made plastic container with similar size and shape as yours. Building with acrylic without proper tools seems a bit risky when there is water involved..

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What urchins? I've had several different varieties over the years and they all only have eaten coralline.
They will scrape away some coraline but won't get it all. There's always more in cracks and crevices to maintain the algea. The tuxedo and pincushion are what I use. They are very interesting as well as lawn mowers for algea.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great stuff! For me it would be much easier to get a 30-50 liters (8-12g) tank instead of building it myself as I can get for less than 30 $ the tank, then I would need the siphon and a pump. For the shelf I have an heavy duty shelf-cabinet lying around (those for garages), I just need to hack it a bit so the top of the tank corresponds to the top of my dt.. Otherwise I could see if there is any pre-made plastic container with similar size and shape as yours. Building with acrylic without proper tools seems a bit risky when there is water involved..
Yes. Exactly. If you can find any shallow box the correct size. Perfect. Remember the water level at rest will be the same as the dt. if you don't mi d an overflow box you can drop it down below tank level and still be safe.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will scrape away some coraline but won't get it all. There's always more in cracks and crevices to maintain the algea. The tuxedo and pincushion are what I use. They are very interesting as well as lawn mowers for algea.
I've had both of those and neither touched a stitch of algae. They are really cool critters, sporting different hats everyday :)

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both of those and neither touched a stitch of algae. They are really cool critters, sporting different hats everyday :)
I had a tank long ago before cheap rodi systems that was a hair algea factory. Lol The only thing that saved me was urchins, pods and crabs. The pincushion spends more time on the rock and tuxedo liked the glass. Over the years I have had different urchins that had different preferences but none would ever crawl across an algea patch without getting a meal. The fish store I worked in loved the pencil urchin for the same purpose. Plus they look so cool crawling on the front glass. Lol

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank long ago before cheap rodi systems that was a hair algea factory. Lol The only thing that saved me was urchins, pods and crabs. The pincushion spends more time on the rock and tuxedo liked the glass. Over the years I have had different urchins that had different preferences but none would ever crawl across an algea patch without getting a meal. The fish store I worked in loved the pencil urchin for the same purpose. Plus they look so cool crawling on the front glass. Lol
20210314_125913.jpg
20210314_125913.jpg
20201005_172341.jpg
20200925_115902.jpg

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa hat. Lol that stomatella is also great!
Finally I added the fuge. Slightly bigger than planned xD

Screenshot_20220205-093143_Gallery.jpg

The fuge is the one below, plumbed with pvc overflow. A bit noisy but I will find a way to make it more silent.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it under control? I used NOPOX, weekly WC and an electric toothbrush to get rid of mine.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will always take over if there is empty space and not enough herbivores. You cannot starve it out because doing so starves out your corals too. Algae is better than coral at life.
I added some turbo snails (4) but I think they have been eaten by my hermit or some other folks in the tank. You are right I am planning to add more herbivores but I am still deciding whether to risk it with some emeralds crabs or getting some tuxedo urchins. Everything cost too much in this hobby so I have to do one thing at the time. For now it seems that the fuge is working because where I clean the GHA not much is growing back. I understand corals need also nutrients but I am sure PO4 was a bit higher than necessary (0.5 last month, 0.2 before adding the fuge) and my corals were all but happy.
20220205_113744.jpg

My leptastrea reached a point where itw covered by algae. Either I starve them or I don't know how much cuc I will need

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it under control? I used NOPOX, weekly WC and an electric toothbrush to get rid of mine.
Not yet but its less than before. I think I will do another 3 days blackout at some point, usually it is the thing that works the best for me. I also am using a brush to clean rocks and hoping they will relocate to the sump

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some turbo snails (4) but I think they have been eaten by my hermit or some other folks in the tank. You are right I am planning to add more herbivores but I am still deciding whether to risk it with some emeralds crabs or getting some tuxedo urchins. Everything cost too much in this hobby so I have to do one thing at the time. For now it seems that the fuge is working because where I clean the GHA not much is growing back. I understand corals need also nutrients but I am sure PO4 was a bit higher than necessary (0.5 last month, 0.2 before adding the fuge) and my corals were all but happy.
20220205_113744.jpg

My leptastrea reached a point where itw covered by algae. Either I starve them or I don't know how much cuc I will need
I can't remember if you added pods. It made a huge difference in my tanks algea problems. Over harvest the fuge at first. Don't starve your dt. If nutrients 1increases then harvest less. Can you dip the lepto? The scrubber can reduce tank algea but it takes time. Let all things grow in it. Looks good. Be patient.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't like chemical fixes because I care more about inverts and diversity than corals and fish. Don't get me wrong, I care a lot about my fish pets and corals but my main interest is within the stuff I find which I didn't know about (and that decreased already a lot when I added fish).
My first inhabitant is an hermit which travelled with me 3000km from Mediterranean to home. I would rather have gha everywhere than risk it.

I considered also an emerald but the guy from the lfs told me they can be hit or miss and if I am unlucky it will start to kill my fish and inverts

Emerald Crabs & urchins are much too aggressive as I value ornamental seaweeds in mixed garden lagoons.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember if you added pods. It made a huge difference in my tanks algea problems. Over harvest the fuge at first. Don't starve your dt. If nutrients 1increases then harvest less. Can you dip the lepto? The scrubber can reduce tank algea but it takes time. Let all things grow in it. Looks good. Be patient.
Also need urchins. Im.looking for 2 for a new tank now.. it's full of macro like yours. Just started so the growth is just starting. I'll take a pic.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something that kills algae but does not kill corals which I can use to dip the lepto in? maybe peroxide?
Yes at the moment I relocated some macros from the DT to the sump. When they will grow a bit I will start to trim them.
Nitrates and phosphates already went down a bit. Nitrates are ok (around 10ppm), phosphates hard to tell, I will be confident that they don't reach complete zero with the feedings and fish waste.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back