Am I over-reacting?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a little advice. My one reef tank has been set up for twenty years. The current inhabitants are a pair of perculas, a pair of banggai, and a royal gramma. All of them have been together for about four years. This past November, I added a flame angel. For the last week, the flame has been beating on the gramma, who has been hiding in his cave. He finally came out yesterday, tail clamped and scratching on rocks. Today, he is MIA. All of the other fish are acting normally and eating well. Here is the possible problem. The perculas look like they may have parasites, very fine tan dots. Tough to see because of the similar colors. No one else shows any issues. Today, I did a 25% water change. Am I over-reacting or are the fish in trouble? If they are in trouble, what is my next step?

IMG_1266.jpg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which looks more like your clownfish?
935186d8d5753ad6490634c379e686f6.jpg

Or this
BCAE62F9-4772-4057-998E-56DAC5C29EFE.jpeg.27aee05b18d92d8379e5a949989eb10a.jpeg

(Couldn't find a good picture of clownfish with marine velvet)

It's hard to tell in the photo but it looks like your clown is getting a thicker slime coat which is a symptom of brook. If your clownfish looks more like the first image it probably is brook. In which case the treatment is formalin dips. Here is the thread for treatment.

If it's more like the second image with dots all over the fish then you have velvet. With velvet you will have to remove all fish from your dt and treat with copper for 30 days and letting your tank go fallow for 6 weeks.

If you could post more pictures with white lights it could help us determine the disease more accurately. If there is one at all

OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not like the Gramma. It is tough to get a photo because they are constantly moving. If anything, one is starting to look like your picture of the clown. I was thinking brook also

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back